Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
17.06.19 at 04:48:44
News: Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Be Warned (Read 63340 times)
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Be Warned
28.01.07 at 11:31:38

Just received an email purporting to be from the Halifax Bank. † It is a scam to try to obtain bank details.

Quote:
† Having problems reading this e-mail? †

January 2007
Halifax Online Logo

Dear Customer,

Our security systems have recorded an unusual log in attempt into your online banking account. This attempt was made from an unfamiliar and blacklisted IP address noted for fraudulent transactions: (216.89.75.31). Consequently, we suspended your online access. We did this to protect your account from any fraudulent activity.

To restore your online access and remove all the restrictions we placed on your account please click here.

Best wishes,
Jimm A. William
Jim A. William,
Online Security Advisor,
Halifax Bank plc.

*This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you by Halifax Bank plc ( reg. no 106048). Registered in England and Scotland. Registered offices: 1 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NA.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have received it in error, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Halifax group of companies do not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by the Halifax group of companies in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify any contract.

If you would prefer not to receive information about other products and services from us, please reply to this e-mail with 'opt-out'

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Be Warned
Reply #1 - 28.02.07 at 11:39:18

Had a very nice letter from Spain this morning.   Apparently, I've won 850,000 euros in a Spanish Lottery that I never entered.

I don't suppose for a moment that any of our members are silly enough to reply to such a letter but just in case it is a blatent attempt to obtain your bank details and steal your identity.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 28.02.07 at 13:32:00

Hi Bob and everyone

This very story is on the front of our local paper this morning. A local woman thought she had won it and telephoned the number on the letter only to find out this is a premium rate telephone number.

My son works for Citizens Advice Bureau and the woman called them and they put her in touch with Trading Standards who put the story into the newspaper.

My advice is to report this to your local trading standards who have some ability to try to stop these scams happening.

No point in asking for a sub then Bob!!!!

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 28.02.07 at 14:11:02

Already reported.   Fraud squad wasn't interested.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - 07.03.07 at 15:04:48

Another one.   Just received this by email:

Quote:
Dear Nationwide Customers Upgrade 2007
Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the nationwide
account we have issued this warning message.
It has come to our attention that your nationwide account information needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account in this year 2007 and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.
Once you have updated your account records your nationwide account
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.
To update your nationwide records click on the following link:

The only problem is that I don't have a Nationwide account.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 26.03.07 at 19:03:15

There is an email purporting to be from The Halifax Bank going around at the moment.   It points out improvements to the Halifax website and invites you to take a look.

DON'T

It's a scam.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - 09.04.07 at 11:47:04

Quote:
Your Online Banking Is No Longer Active

For your security, we have temporarily prevented access to your account. Halifax security department safeguards your account when there is a possibility that someone other than you is signin on to youraccount. Due to this, your account is no longer active.

For immediate access to your account, please follow the reference link below to restore your account to your normal account activities:

https://www.halifax-onlineco. uk/_mem_bin/FormsLogin.asp?source=hal ifaxouk

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

If you choose to ignore our request, your account may leads to be temporarily suspended
Investment Fund Managers Limited, Halifax Life Limited and Halifax Share Dealing Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services AuthorityThey are entered in the Financial Services Authority's Register and their Register Numbers are 106048, 119223, 171881 and 183332. This is an English language site, all contracts will be in the English language only. For optimal viewing of this site you will need Macromedia Flash version 5 or above. Copyright (c) 2007, Halifax plc. All rights reserved

For those who have a Halifax account, the above is an email being sent by scammers. † If you receive one simply delete it. † Whatever else you do, do not click on the link.

There is usually a clue in the phishing emails. † Here the clue is in the line:

Quote:
If you choose to ignore our request, your account may leads to be temporarily suspended

Obviously, the Halifax would never have put that in an email.

This is the reply I got after I forwarded the email to the Halifax Investigations Branch:

Quote:
Thank you for alerting us to the suspicious e-mail you have received. Please delete the e-mail immediately without responding or visiting any site it details.

A number of fraudulent e-mails are currently circulating in the UK encouraging bank customers to visit a website where card or internet security details are then requested. Typically these e-mails are sent randomly in large volumes and so by chance will be received by genuine customers. Your e-mail address has not been and would never be disclosed by the Halifax.

We never send e-mails that ask for confidential or security information. If you are concerned that you may have divulged any details of accounts held with us please call our Helpdesk immediately on 0845 850 0629.

Further information can be found by following the link from our homepage.

If you have given our details relating to accounts held with other financial organisations, then please contact that company's helpdesk as a matter of urgency.

Regards

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 26.04.07 at 16:04:37

The latest Scam goes like this:

Quote:
Hello,

I am Mr. Charles Brown; A Canadian Attorney based in Manchester, United Kingdom and the personal attorney to Late Mr. Mark Michelle a citizen of France. Late Mr. Mark Michelle was a private oil consultant/ contractor with the Shell Petroleum Development Company in Saudi Arabia before his death, hereinafter shall be referred to as my client.

Unfortunate, my client with his wife and three children lost their life in plane clash in 2003. My several attempts to locate any of his relatives as directed by his Bank became void. I had make enquires with his country Embassy and non of his relatives have been traced. It may interest you to know that my client died "in testate".

PROPOSITION:
I decided to contact you purely on the personal conviction of trust and confidence that we can co-operate with each other and do a very lucrative business for our mutual benefits. I want you to give me the needed assistance by allowing me to present you as the next of kin to the deceased and the beneficiary to his estate. The deceased had a deposit valued presently at (GBP 45,800,000.00) and his Bank has issued me a notice to provide his next of kin or beneficiary by will, otherwise the account would be confiscated.

Already, i have marked out modalities for achieving my aim of appointing a next of kin as well as transfer the money out of this country, for us to share the money in the ratio of 53% for me and 35% to you, The 2% of the fund will serve as reimbursement of expenses both local and international any of us will make in the course of this transaction. While we shall collectively donate the remaining balance of 10% to Tsunami Relief Organizations.

It is my intention to achieve this transfer in a legitimate way, all I required is your honest co-operation, and confidentiality and trust to enable us see this transaction through. This is a very legal business that I am very sure of its success and is absolutely risk free.

If this proposal is acceptable to you, kindly email following informationís to me;
1. Private telephone number and fax number.
2. Your residential address.
3. Identification / occupation.

Further details await you upon a positive response from you.

Yours faithfully,

Bar. Charles Brown

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - 26.04.07 at 18:22:42

And yet another allegedly from the Nationwide:

Quote:
Dear Customer

Internet Banking Access Blocked

We recently observed an attempt to change your internet banking email address. Your internet banking email address is the email address you chose when you registered for our internet banking service. We use this email address to keep you informed about new developments in our internet banking service and general changes made to your account via the internet.

The email address change was initiated from a blacklisted and suspicious IP address (216.89.75.31). We however declined the change and placed an online access restriction on your account. We took this measure to protect your account from any fraudulent transaction.

In other to restore your online access, we need a verification of your identity and current location. If successful, all restrictions on your account will be removed and you will be able to use your our online service normally. This process takes approximately 5 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. To proceed please Click Here.

Please note that failure to verify your identity and current location within a week of receipt of this email will lead to a suspension of your account with us. We sincerely regret any inconvenience.

Best wishes,

Fran Cotton - Signature

Clian Balton,
Head of Online Team

I don't have a Nationwide account.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - 04.05.07 at 17:03:29

This one really takes the biscuit.   The complete recipe for identity theft.

Quote:
Dear VISA Credit Card Member,

You have received this email because we have strong reasons to believe that your VISA credit card had been recently compromised. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

If your account information is not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume your credit card is fraudulent and will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your VISA account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

Please scan the following documents, attach them to your email and forward them to: certify@visafraudcheck.com

- Your credit/debit card (front and back)
- Your credit/debit card statement or your utility bill (electic,phone bill )
- A valid photo ID (example: Passport, Drivers License, etc...)

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your credit card.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account.

Regards,
Safeharbor Department
Visa Card, Inc. Switzerland

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - 05.02.08 at 14:47:39

Don't fall for this one:

Quote:
Dear NatWest Bank customer,
We have implemented security measures consistent with our internal information security practices to help us keep your information secure. These measures include technical and procedural steps to protect your data from misuse, access or disclosure, loss, alteration or destruction.
One of these security measures is NOF (NatWest Online Form) to help us to keep your personal and banking data up to date.
You should complete NOF on a regular basis.
Please complete NOF using the link below:
NatWest Online Form [links to uk.natwest.com.learnip.org.cn/NOF/startupdate.aspx?refererident=8946459820139822
28283334979858953721376342861874&cookieid=986975331101]
NatWest Automated Mail Service. Please do not respond to this mail.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - 05.02.08 at 15:46:44

Hi Bob

My husband gets these emails every single day. It is awful that we have no way of stopping such people and I feel so sorry for anyone who may fall for this.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - 06.03.08 at 11:39:53

The latest scam email going the rounds is one purporting to be from Lloyds TSB.

Quote:
Dear Mr Rosamond,

Thank you for taking the time to send this information to us.

Please note that Lloyds TSB would never send our customers an email asking for internet banking log-on details. The email you have received is fraudulent and has been sent by an unscrupulous third party in order to obtain your User ID, password and memorable information.

The email has been sent randomly to both customers and non-customers of Lloyds TSB. If you should receive an email of this nature, please forward it to ourselves at emailscams@lloydstsb.co.uk and then delete it without clicking on any links or visiting any websites contained within it.

Occasionally, these fraudulent e-mails contain a virus therefore we would recommend that you run a scan to identify whether your computer has been affected. If you require further assistance with regards to identifying and removing a virus, please contact your anti-virus software provider.

Unfortunately, we are unable to prevent fraudsters from sending these emails. However, please be assured that we will endeavour to close down the fraudulent web site as soon as possible.

In the meantime, if you need any further information or advice with regards to on-line security, please click on the following link:

http://www.lloydstsb.com/security.asp

Kind Regards

Fraud Response Team

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - 21.11.08 at 09:40:23

A friend got this this morning.

Quote:
Dear valued AOL member, It has come to our attention that your billing informations are out of order.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records so you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, any failure in updating your records will result an account suspension.

Please update your records before the 30 November 2008.

Once you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal . Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future problems.

To update your AOL records Click here .

http://Billing.AOL.com

and this is the email that came with it.

Quote:
On following the link to Billing.aol it presented another page that again appears to be the AOL billing site.

All the AOL trademarks are there and in the right places.

Looks okay until halfway down the page they ask for your PIN number.

It even says you can change it after 3 days.

You may find that after 3 days your account will have been cleaned out.!!!

Please pass onto all members and ask that it be forwarded to any AOL users they know.

I have notified AOL of the scam and they confirm that they will never ask you for your password or PIN number.

Regards

Bernard

Panda won't allow access to the site so I can't look for myself but the clue is in the grammar of the first line which should have read, 'you billing information is' and not 'your billing informations are'.

These crooks are never as clever as they think they are.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - 25.11.08 at 18:19:34

My husband's business site is inundated with these fake emails and the latest being you need to resupply your banking details for google ads and it looked so convincing other than spelling. So again all be warned.

Teddy
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print