Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Be Warned (Read 65977 times)
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Be Warned
Reply #15 - 14.12.08 at 09:19:28

The Office of Fair Trading says there are £3.5bn taken in scams each year, with the average victim losing £850. This means a potential 4 million people are scammed, although it’s more likely that some of these people fall prey twice or more.

Christmas is a time when scammers can really destroy a lot of people. As the OFT says:

‘It is a period when many people feel under financial and emotional pressure. It's an opportune time for would-be scammers to prey on people's vulnerability with bogus prize, gift and cash offers.’

Common scams, the OFT says, are bogus lotteries, deceptive prize draws and fake psychics. These are all, perhaps, things that desperate people would consider more readily around Christmas and New Year. 'Scammers', adds the OFT, 'are also likely to prey on people wanting to slim down for the Christmas season with miracle slimming products.'
The emotional consequences of being scammed

Worse than the financial loss is the psychological effect. Many scam victims suffer depression or low self-esteem, and their confidence is destroyed.

The OFT has come up with a good list of things to do to spot and avoid scams.  

1. Be suspicious of letters, phone calls, or emails asking you to send money. Check out the sender and ask the opinion of family, friends or neighbours.
   2. If an offer looks too good to be true then, almost without doubt, it certainly is! Trust your gut instincts.
   3. Always think twice.
   4. Ask yourself: ‘Can I afford to lose money on this?’
   5. Never send money to anyone who says you’ve won the lottery or a big prize. You'll never see your winnings.
   6. Don’t be rushed into sending off money by time-sensitive deadlines.
   7. Never ring an 090 number unless you’re certain how much the call will cost, and know what you’re likely to receive.
   8. Never disclose your bank-account, credit-card or personal details to people you don’t know. If a company you have a relationship with calls asking for any such details, hang up, get their number from the Internet, and call them back.
   9. Don’t send money off just because a letter seems official. If you haven’t heard of them, check them out first.
  10. Scammers often use fake testimonials to support their claims, but don’t let them fool you. Make your own mind up.

Don't suffer scams in silence. Report scams to the OFT and Trading Standards.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - 15.12.08 at 10:00:07

As if to prove the point of the previous post, this arrived in my in box this morning.

Quote:
During our regularly scheduled maintenance of our Database, we have detected a slight error in your account informations.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

* A recent change in your personal information (i.e.change of Email address).
   * Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
   * An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please verify your informations by log on your account :

https://onlineaccounts.abbeynational.co.uk/CentralLogon/action=prepare

If your account information is not updated, your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Thank you

Legal Advisor
The Abbey Bank Group

* Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be received.

I've altered the link so that nobody will log onto it by mistake.

Once again, if we read these carefully, the fact that it is a scam is blatantly obvious from the grammar.   The phrase 'your account informations.' would obviously not be used by a bank.

Their real error, though, is the fact that I don't bank with the Abbey. Grin

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - 17.12.08 at 15:37:17

You are right Bob there is a lot of gramatical errors but today my daughter was sent an email from her IT head of department to warn that there is some problem if you log onto websites whilst using internet explorer. People are hacking into people's computers and gaining thier personal information.

Its awful that this can happen even with lots of spyware or antivirus whatever you call it [you can see I am not technically minded]. So I am using firefox instead at present.

Take care all and be extra careful like Bob says they seem to be more prevelant at this time of year. Be on your guard. Also of bogus callers to your doorsteps please do not give out information about yourself or the family or anything at all. If you dont know the person personally dont answer the door to them. Hopefully people will have a spyhole fitted to the door which is an invaluable little thing to have.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas.

Take care all
Teddy x

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - 07.01.09 at 20:21:28

The latest scam is reported here.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - 08.01.09 at 17:37:35

This is the latest email scam:

Quote:

Hello,

Am Ms. Moaiya  Hassan.  A daughter of later Dr. Almed Hassan who dead with my
mother on 30th Dec, 2008 in Gaza Palestinian war, I have no father, mother and
home .I Contact you for your help because God will gorge Israel for all they
have cost Gaza people today.

I am 23 years old girl my father told me  some  days before he died that we
shall be going to Ghana where he wanted us to live and continue his Gold
business which he couldn?t complete , now I get in contact with his  
lawyer that
my father deposited $6.8 Million Euro for investment last year.

I write you as my only hope of living now, I want you to stand as my father
partner and his lawyer will workout all the documents to enable you claim this
money for my life, I really need a family that will see as they daughter not
like stranger, Please if you are ready to assist me kindly let me know  
so that I
will send all your details to the lawyer immediately.

We will discuss parentage in my next reply, please if you can?t help don't
reply. See the link below::
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/its-war-
http://www.msnbc.msn
http://www.aljaz

There is practically no risk involved, you can call my father lawyer
+233245049835 Mr. Add Peter

Please do not say no to my request take me as one of your family and serve my
life, May god bless you and your family?

Ms. Moaiya Hassan.

They have to be pretty sick to use a war as an excuse to rob your bank account. Angry

I've altered the links so that nobody can link by mistake.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - 13.01.09 at 13:08:43

Like you say Bob how sick Angry

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - 14.02.09 at 08:40:06

Received from NARPO this morning:

Quote:
Dear Colleague

The message you are about to read has been forwarded by Mansfield Citizens Advice Bureau and was originally written by Dr Mark Barber, Head of Social Research and Policy, RNID, London – Please read for your information:

There is growing concern about a company called Benefits Helpline http://www.benefitshelpline.com/ that is providing advice on all sorts of welfare benefits through a £1.50 per minute premium telephone service. Not only is this extortionate, but customers have reported being inundated with texts and emails urging them to use the service further.  

Obviously it would be good to inform our clients that they can, if they so choose, use this service but that they will receive no more nor better information than they would through our own free-to-access expertise.

It's also worth noting that they come up prominently if you Google 'benefits advice', so the unwary may be caught easily.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #22 - 14.02.09 at 17:47:10

How awful is this Bob. People looking at just the web address would be thinking it is a free advice service, at least I would.

I will definitely show this to the Manager of my local CAB [where I am a general adviser/volunteer] and make sure this is passed on to everyone I can.

Thanks for posting Bob and like you say CAB are a free, impartial, non judgmental , confidential, advice service and no-one should pay a penny for advice in relation to benefits or anything else they need help with.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - 16.02.09 at 08:20:42

Latest Scam:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Sensitive area to your Account has been limited due to a mis-match of access code between your Security details. To enable you continue accessing your online account, it will only take you few minutes to re-activate your account.

Click on the guide-link below and follow the directions to instant activation or please call our Online Helpdesk on 08451 455 455 to activate your account and security information.

Go to your Account Online (Link Removed)

Important Notice:- You are strictly advised to match your Security details rightly to avoid service denial.

Co=operative Bank Helpdesk

Once again, the immediate clue is in the grammar and I hardly think the Co-op would have used an equals sign in the bank name.

However, my suspicions would have been aroused anyway as I don't have an account with the co-op bank.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - 12.06.09 at 10:44:37

Just received this from NARPO:

Quote:
Warning of bogus e-mail scam. I recently received an e-mail purporting to be from NS&I Premium Bonds advising me that as there had been no recent contact from me, my account had been put on hold and it would be in my interest to contact them on the e-mail address provided to keep my account active? The e-mail layout looked very authentic & official. I contacted NS&I via the phone number provided on the original paperwork under the heading 'Any questions?’ I was told the email was a scam, they would never contact premium bond investors via e-mail, do not contact them on the link provided as they are attempting to get secure information from you. Fortunately we hadn't. I had no knowledge of this scam and I am concerned that other members may not be aware either. If this has not already be done, please circulate to all members.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - 12.09.09 at 19:53:02

Another from NARPO

Quote:

The new telephone 'scam' has arrived in Medway.

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he was
dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately
of £31.00 , or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date..

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly
VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

I asked the guy's name - the very 'English' John Peacock with a very
'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so offered to
demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try
phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.
AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned
me again.
Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was
with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there
& then.
I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no
intention of paying him , I didn't believe his name or that he worked for
BT.
He hung up.
Did 1471 & phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognised.
I phoned the police to let them know , I wasn't the first! It's only just
started apparently but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people know by word of mouth of this scam.
The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's
real, so please let as many friends & family aware of this.

The caller cannot cut you off.  What he does is to press the mute button on
his phone which make you think you have been cut off.    What he is doing is
holding the line open and he can still hear you.   All you have to do is
hang up and do not try the phone again for at least 5 minutes and then the
telephone exchange automatically disconnects the caller from you and you can
then use your phone again.   If you do not do this and keep picking up the
phone the caller will be able to hear what you are saying  SO JUST END THE
CALL AND DO NOT USE THE PHONE FOR 5 MINUTES.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - 13.09.09 at 09:42:15

Thanks for this warning Bob. Angry I will pass it on to everyone I can.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #27 - 01.10.09 at 14:32:45

Some viruses try to access your e-mail address book and then send the virus to all your friends.   One way to combat this is to enter the following fictitious e-mail address into your list   AAAAAAAAA@AAAAAAA this will then be the first address in your list and when the virus tries to use your list it gets stuck on this address as it does not exist and so therefore cannot get to the rest of your list.

IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #28 - 01.10.09 at 18:14:49

Thanks for the warning Bob.  I have done that now  Smiley
Karen x

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - 12.01.10 at 10:06:55

Received from NARPO this morning:

Quote:
Dear Colleagues,

This morning I received a e-mail supposedly from NTLWORLD telling me that they are upgrading their system and required me to send them the following details, my e-mail username, my e-mail password and date of birth. I have checked with NTLWORLD and they confirm it is bogus, so just delete it, DO NOT ANSWER IT.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print