Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Be Warned (Read 63823 times)
Teddy
Global Moderator

Re: Be Warned
Reply #30 - 14.01.10 at 00:45:08

Scams are doing the rounds again Bob. We got one for the business saying we have taken our broadband with a proper company as far as I can tell called Eclipse Internet and we have never heard of them. We have had two letters showing our so called bank details asking us to contact them if they are not correct.  

Needless to say they were not and we have no intention of contacting the premium rate phone number given. I sent the correspondence to trading standards locally and they are sending it onto the nearest TS office to the company address given by this company.

So many scams we need to be careful.

It is a good idea to let your local Trading Standards Office know about any scam as they look into it and can forewarn others.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #31 - 14.01.10 at 18:23:41

Believe it or not, there are a number of scams now connected with the Haiti disaster.  One in particular purports to come from the Red Cross.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #32 - 16.01.10 at 19:20:22

How disgusting is that Bob. How can people stoop so low. It is sickening. I know what I would like to do to them. Argh Angry

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #33 - 27.01.10 at 09:16:23

If you get a phone call from a firm calling itself Support Onclick in Bradford, hang up.   This firm is actually Pecon Software Ltd. (peconcal@vsnl.net), En-27, Salt lake Sector-V, Kolkata West Bengal,700091 INDIA Tel. +91.03340101601.

They will give you the number 01274900834.

The speaker will give an English name but have a heavy Indian accent.   They will ask you to log on to your computer and will tell you that the computer has a problem that they can fix.

Eventually, they will require a fee of £65.00 from your credit card and, guess what, they will take considerably more. This will be for a year's subscription to their site and there will be no way you'll get your money back.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #34 - 28.01.10 at 17:26:46

Thanks for this info Bob.

Also a good idea is is anyone gets this call they let the local trading standards office know about it

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #35 - 31.01.10 at 12:27:16

If you get an email purporting to be from the Inland Revenue, ignore it.   The revenue does not use email to contact people.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - 02.02.10 at 18:34:53

These scams are getting so frequent Bob our local Trading Standards has put bins in places e.g. local libraries big stores etc for people to put any letters pertaining to scams.

Shows how bad it is getting

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #37 - 23.07.10 at 10:48:41

This is a RED ALERT to all computer users.
A company calling themselves ' ANTIVIR SOLUTIONS ' sends out a message to all and any computer user, saying they have the answer to Virus problems on your computer.  If you open the message your computer will be corrupted by a Virus.  Making it impossible to use ( This has happened to one of our members ).

They are infecting your computer and wanting you to pay them for anti virus software to get rid of it.

If this happens to you then the only solution for you is to take it to a computer workshop for a complete overhaul of your system, which will be costly.

DONT OPEN ANY MESSAGE THAT YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #38 - 11.11.10 at 09:31:28

One scam going around at the moment is the 'you have a tax refund due' scam.   We had one this morning.   In the pretence that they are the Inland Revenue, the scammers will say that you are due a refund and will give you a site where you can fill in a claim form.

Of course that will want all your bank details on the form.

From the revenue web site:

Quote:
Tax rebate

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) would not inform customers of a tax rebate via email.   Do not visit the website contained within the email or disclose any personal or payment information.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #39 - 27.11.10 at 23:15:49

Be sure to check your receipts when shopping and paying with any type of card.   The latest scam is to add cash back to a bill an not hand over the cash.   How many times do you not look at the bill and just throw it away?

If you spot the scam, the operator will say that the machine is faulty.   Be sure and report this to a supervisor.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #40 - 06.12.10 at 13:41:41

Two warnings today.   If you get a phone call from an Indian sounding gentleman telling you that he has a settlement for the recent accident that you had when someone ran into the back of your car, just hang up.   Or you could do as I did and ask him to wait a moment and then put the phone down and go shopping.   That will stop him using that line to try and scam someone else for a while.

The othe warning is for anyone who does online shopping at ASDA.   If you do, check your bill thoroughly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/11/asda_shopping.html#more

IP Logged
Lesley

!

Reply #41 - 20.12.10 at 14:12:12

Mine usually start with something like, "Dear honoured Sir" !! - I apparently have won squillions so many times; have been left massive legacies and have so many bank accounts, it's astonishing. I just wish that I had loads of real money in all these unknown accounts. Makes you laugh until you think how many people respond to them. I bounce mine so that their computer which sends out millions of these all over the world (pfhishing or something like that), thinks my email address was wrong. Spam filters also help a bit but son't catch them all.  

Sad world we live in.  
Take care
Lesley

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #42 - 06.03.11 at 08:55:02

If you get a call from an Indian sounding gentleman (or anyone else for that matter) telling you that his firm have identified a problem with your computer and asking you to go to supportonclick.co.uk  either hang up or ask him to wait and then go shopping.

He may just ask for your credit card details, telling you he can sort out the problem over the phone.   Whatever else you do, never give a cold caller your details.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #43 - 28.03.11 at 20:36:26

There's an email scam going the rounds at the moment. Watch out for emails claiming to be from DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam. DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.  

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_194193

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #44 - 31.05.11 at 16:11:11

Got an email from skypeonl.com  this morning demanding £43 via Paypal for Skype.   The domain has never been registered.

If you get such an email, don't click on any links in it. Just forward it to spoof@paypal.com then delete it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print