Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Be Warned (Read 63336 times)
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Be Warned
Reply #45 - 15.04.12 at 15:51:57

WILTSHIRE POLICE Keeping you informed

Swindon Police Station Gablecross Shrivenham Road South Marston Swindon Wiltshire SN3 4RB Telephone: 0845 408 7000

Hi all,
This has been passed on via another Force area through our own Fraud Department In Wiltshire Constabulary, and it is a very convincing SCAM.

We have been asked to disseminate the information as widely and was quickly as we can through Neighbourhood Watch, School Safe and others.
This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want. Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. As reported to the police:

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank), did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?"

When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number ..

But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card. Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card..

Don't give it to them . Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or MasterCard directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening .

Please pass this on to all your family and friends..

By informing each other, we protect each other.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #46 - 03.05.12 at 13:15:26

This actually happened to a friend of mine.   The scammer used the fact that the mobile had been delivered to simply walk into the house unannounced  and without knocking.   Had he not been caught, he might well have helped himself to anything lying around.

Quote:
Nottinghamshire Police has received a number of reports recently regarding what appears to be a mobile phone scam.
Incidents involve innocent people’s homes being used as a delivery address for mobile phones that they have not ordered.
Police believe the phones are being ordered by criminals using a bogus account and they are using residents’ addresses to have them delivered.
Incidents have happened predominately in the Rushcliffe area of Nottinghamshire; but this is not to say that it has not happened elsewhere.
The scam usually involves one or more mobile phones being delivered to a home owner who has not ordered the goods.
The occupant is usually confused as to why the mobile phones have been delivered to their address when they haven’t ordered them. In the meantime the occupant receives a phone call from someone claiming to be from the mobile phone company that the phones have been sent from. They tell the home owner that the phones have been delivered to their address in error and that someone will visit them to collect them.
However, mobile phone companies have stressed that they would never send someone to collect the mobile phones, and that they would instead send out an envelope for the phones to be returned in via the post.
Please be aware of this scam and anyone who receives mobile phones that have not been ordered should make contact with the mobile phone supplier that they have been delivered from and send them back to the supplier using the envelope they provide you with.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #47 - 17.07.12 at 09:14:55

Watch out for emails claiming to be from the DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam.
The DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.

This is a copy of the email that is circulating:

Subject: Update Your License Details  
We are currrently upgrading our database and all drivers are required to update and verify there driver's license details. To complete your license verification with us, you are required to fill out the form in the link below.
{Fake link}  
Drivers that refuses to upgrade his or her details within two weeks of receiving this verification email will lose his or her driver's License and will have to take a fresh driving test.  
We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you.  
Thank you for your co-operation.  
(c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

I think the clue is in the spelling and the grammar.  Grin

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #48 - 20.02.14 at 12:23:20

Received this this morning and HMRC said that they never use email:

Dear Applicant:

During the last assessment, we investigated your payments for the last three
years and our calculations shows you made over payments of 375.28 GBP.

Due to the high volume of refunds you must complete the Tax Return Form.
Please make sure you complete the form correctly.
There are now only a few cases where HMRC still allows you to send your
tax return on paper, instead of sending it online, without getting a penalty.

Please complete the Tax Return Form

--------------------------------------------------------------

S. M. Birbeck
Senior Manager

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - 22.05.14 at 09:02:44

Recently we parked in a public car park. As we drove away I noticed a sticker on the rear window of the car. When I took it off after I got home, it was a receipt for petrol. Luckily my friend told me not to stop as it could be someone waiting for me to get out of the car. Then we received this email yesterday.

WARNING FROM POLICE
THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN

BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE -- A NEW WAY TO DO CAR-JACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)!

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating... You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine put it into reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you stop and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off.

They practically run you over as they speed off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the car-jacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, lock your doors and just drive away!!

Remove the paper later. And be thankful that youread this e-mail.. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women.

A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please tell your friends

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #50 - 18.11.14 at 14:55:48

FRAUD ADVICE FOR ANDROID MOBILE PHONE USERS
Please pass on this advice to as many friends, relatives, neighbours as you can and encourage them to spread the news so that as many people as possible are alerted.
Action Fraud is asking users of Android mobile phones to beware of a new scam.
The scam, which is called a 'ransom ware' sends the user a text, which includes a link for ‘Photoviewer’ or something of a similar name.
If you click on this your phone is locked and you are asked to pay to unlock it. Similar messages are also sent to your contacts, encouraging them to open the same link.
This scam has originated in America and to date, the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau are not aware of its existence in the UK.
Should you receive this text (what to do?)
Anyone who is affected by this is advised to put their phone in safe mode and reset it.
Please don’t click on links that you are unsure about and report anything suspicious to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #51 - 26.09.15 at 08:39:51

Anyone on Virgin please be aware that you may receive an email saying that your payment couldn't be taken because your details need updating and giving a link to click on.   It says that, if you don't click on the link you will be disconnected.  

Just delete it as it is a phishing email and Virgin are aware of it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #52 - 02.10.15 at 10:20:18

If you use Paypal there is a phishing email going around saying that it is a receipt for a £64 payment to Skype.   It gives a link if you want to challenge the payment.   Just delete it.   Don't click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #53 - 25.05.16 at 08:46:56

The latest scam going the rounds is purporting to be from Virgin Media.   It say that they were unable to take your last payment from your bank and the Direct Debit need to be set up again.   They say that, if you do not do this, your account will be suspended.   They then ask for your bank details and will empty your bank account.

This is very very good and really looks like the real thing.

If you get an email like this forward it to spoof@virginmedia.com

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #54 - 28.06.16 at 13:32:44

I you are an Amazon customer be aware that there is an email purporting to be from Amazon headed 'Surprise For You Dear { name }
- Click Here ...

Don't.

The e-mail you received wasn't from Amazon.co.uk, and we're investigating the situation. We suggest you never respond to any e-mail message that asks you to provide personal or financial information, open an attachment you weren’t expecting, or navigate to a website linked to in the e-mail.

If you replied to the e-mail or visited a linked website but didn't provide any personal information (such as your login or password) your Amazon.co.uk account information should be safe.

Amazon.co.uk doesn’t send e-mails that require you to open attachments, nor do we allow Sellers on Amazon Marketplace to do so. We recommend that you never open any e-mail attachments from suspicious or unknown sources.

If you receive a suspicious e-mail that looks like it was sent from Amazon.co.uk and contains an attachment, we recommend you forward the e-mail to stop-spoofing@amazon.com (as an attachment, if possible) without opening it. Delete the e-mail after you forward it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #55 - 19.07.16 at 06:34:56

If you receive this forward it to spoof@virginmedia.com

Dear Customer,
Your Virgin Media update is ready and waiting for you online, and please NOT, that we were unable to process your most recent bill online, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request that you update your account details, just sign into My Virgin Media here and update your card details so that future payments are not delayed.
And which will confirm your full QuickPay Update.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely
Virgin Media Payments Ltd.

Do not click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #56 - 07.10.16 at 08:04:15

Had this in my in-box this morning:

Dear PayPal Member,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to verify the Billing Information. Failure to verify your records will result in account suspension. click the link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records.. To verify your identity, kindly follow reference below and take the directions to instant activation.

There are several instances - the double full stop for instance - that will alert you to the fact that this is an attempt to get into your account but just be aware.

If you get one of these, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #57 - 10.10.16 at 12:04:35

Another one turned up today:
We recorded a payment request from '''www.HostGator.com''' to enable the charge of $2.95/month on your account.

Because the order was made from an European internet address, we put an Exception Payment on transaction id 03481821 motivated by our Geographical Tracking System.

THE PAYMENT IS PENDING FOR THE MOMENT.

If you made this transaction or if you just authorize this payment, please ignore or remove this email message.

If you didn't make this payment and would like to decline the $2.95 billing to your card, please click xxxx

If you get this forward to spoof@paypal.com   Whatever you do, don't click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #58 - 07.11.16 at 20:51:03

There's a link appearing on Facebook - something to do with an Anthony Hopkins appreciation Society. Don't click on it. It contains a virus.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #59 - 12.03.17 at 21:11:36

If you see an advert on Facebook to do with Michael Caine being dead (not true) don't click on it as it will put tracking cookies on you computer and it is very difficult to get rid of.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print