Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
26.03.19 at 20:56:18
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Be Warned (Read 62488 times)
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Be Warned
28.01.07 at 11:31:38

Just received an email purporting to be from the Halifax Bank.   It is a scam to try to obtain bank details.

Quote:
  Having problems reading this e-mail?  

January 2007
Halifax Online Logo

Dear Customer,

Our security systems have recorded an unusual log in attempt into your online banking account. This attempt was made from an unfamiliar and blacklisted IP address noted for fraudulent transactions: (216.89.75.31). Consequently, we suspended your online access. We did this to protect your account from any fraudulent activity.

To restore your online access and remove all the restrictions we placed on your account please click here.

Best wishes,
Jimm A. William
Jim A. William,
Online Security Advisor,
Halifax Bank plc.

*This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you by Halifax Bank plc ( reg. no 106048). Registered in England and Scotland. Registered offices: 1 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NA.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have received it in error, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Halifax group of companies do not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by the Halifax group of companies in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify any contract.

If you would prefer not to receive information about other products and services from us, please reply to this e-mail with 'opt-out'

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Be Warned
Reply #1 - 28.02.07 at 11:39:18

Had a very nice letter from Spain this morning.   Apparently, I've won 850,000 euros in a Spanish Lottery that I never entered.

I don't suppose for a moment that any of our members are silly enough to reply to such a letter but just in case it is a blatent attempt to obtain your bank details and steal your identity.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 28.02.07 at 13:32:00

Hi Bob and everyone

This very story is on the front of our local paper this morning. A local woman thought she had won it and telephoned the number on the letter only to find out this is a premium rate telephone number.

My son works for Citizens Advice Bureau and the woman called them and they put her in touch with Trading Standards who put the story into the newspaper.

My advice is to report this to your local trading standards who have some ability to try to stop these scams happening.

No point in asking for a sub then Bob!!!!

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 28.02.07 at 14:11:02

Already reported.   Fraud squad wasn't interested.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - 07.03.07 at 15:04:48

Another one.   Just received this by email:

Quote:
Dear Nationwide Customers Upgrade 2007
Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the nationwide
account we have issued this warning message.
It has come to our attention that your nationwide account information needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account in this year 2007 and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.
Once you have updated your account records your nationwide account
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.
To update your nationwide records click on the following link:

The only problem is that I don't have a Nationwide account.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 26.03.07 at 19:03:15

There is an email purporting to be from The Halifax Bank going around at the moment.   It points out improvements to the Halifax website and invites you to take a look.

DON'T

It's a scam.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - 09.04.07 at 11:47:04

Quote:
Your Online Banking Is No Longer Active

For your security, we have temporarily prevented access to your account. Halifax security department safeguards your account when there is a possibility that someone other than you is signin on to youraccount. Due to this, your account is no longer active.

For immediate access to your account, please follow the reference link below to restore your account to your normal account activities:

https://www.halifax-onlineco. uk/_mem_bin/FormsLogin.asp?source=hal ifaxouk

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

If you choose to ignore our request, your account may leads to be temporarily suspended
Investment Fund Managers Limited, Halifax Life Limited and Halifax Share Dealing Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services AuthorityThey are entered in the Financial Services Authority's Register and their Register Numbers are 106048, 119223, 171881 and 183332. This is an English language site, all contracts will be in the English language only. For optimal viewing of this site you will need Macromedia Flash version 5 or above. Copyright (c) 2007, Halifax plc. All rights reserved

For those who have a Halifax account, the above is an email being sent by scammers.   If you receive one simply delete it.   Whatever else you do, do not click on the link.

There is usually a clue in the phishing emails.   Here the clue is in the line:

Quote:
If you choose to ignore our request, your account may leads to be temporarily suspended

Obviously, the Halifax would never have put that in an email.

This is the reply I got after I forwarded the email to the Halifax Investigations Branch:

Quote:
Thank you for alerting us to the suspicious e-mail you have received. Please delete the e-mail immediately without responding or visiting any site it details.

A number of fraudulent e-mails are currently circulating in the UK encouraging bank customers to visit a website where card or internet security details are then requested. Typically these e-mails are sent randomly in large volumes and so by chance will be received by genuine customers. Your e-mail address has not been and would never be disclosed by the Halifax.

We never send e-mails that ask for confidential or security information. If you are concerned that you may have divulged any details of accounts held with us please call our Helpdesk immediately on 0845 850 0629.

Further information can be found by following the link from our homepage.

If you have given our details relating to accounts held with other financial organisations, then please contact that company's helpdesk as a matter of urgency.

Regards

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 26.04.07 at 16:04:37

The latest Scam goes like this:

Quote:
Hello,

I am Mr. Charles Brown; A Canadian Attorney based in Manchester, United Kingdom and the personal attorney to Late Mr. Mark Michelle a citizen of France. Late Mr. Mark Michelle was a private oil consultant/ contractor with the Shell Petroleum Development Company in Saudi Arabia before his death, hereinafter shall be referred to as my client.

Unfortunate, my client with his wife and three children lost their life in plane clash in 2003. My several attempts to locate any of his relatives as directed by his Bank became void. I had make enquires with his country Embassy and non of his relatives have been traced. It may interest you to know that my client died "in testate".

PROPOSITION:
I decided to contact you purely on the personal conviction of trust and confidence that we can co-operate with each other and do a very lucrative business for our mutual benefits. I want you to give me the needed assistance by allowing me to present you as the next of kin to the deceased and the beneficiary to his estate. The deceased had a deposit valued presently at (GBP 45,800,000.00) and his Bank has issued me a notice to provide his next of kin or beneficiary by will, otherwise the account would be confiscated.

Already, i have marked out modalities for achieving my aim of appointing a next of kin as well as transfer the money out of this country, for us to share the money in the ratio of 53% for me and 35% to you, The 2% of the fund will serve as reimbursement of expenses both local and international any of us will make in the course of this transaction. While we shall collectively donate the remaining balance of 10% to Tsunami Relief Organizations.

It is my intention to achieve this transfer in a legitimate way, all I required is your honest co-operation, and confidentiality and trust to enable us see this transaction through. This is a very legal business that I am very sure of its success and is absolutely risk free.

If this proposal is acceptable to you, kindly email following information’s to me;
1. Private telephone number and fax number.
2. Your residential address.
3. Identification / occupation.

Further details await you upon a positive response from you.

Yours faithfully,

Bar. Charles Brown

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - 26.04.07 at 18:22:42

And yet another allegedly from the Nationwide:

Quote:
Dear Customer

Internet Banking Access Blocked

We recently observed an attempt to change your internet banking email address. Your internet banking email address is the email address you chose when you registered for our internet banking service. We use this email address to keep you informed about new developments in our internet banking service and general changes made to your account via the internet.

The email address change was initiated from a blacklisted and suspicious IP address (216.89.75.31). We however declined the change and placed an online access restriction on your account. We took this measure to protect your account from any fraudulent transaction.

In other to restore your online access, we need a verification of your identity and current location. If successful, all restrictions on your account will be removed and you will be able to use your our online service normally. This process takes approximately 5 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. To proceed please Click Here.

Please note that failure to verify your identity and current location within a week of receipt of this email will lead to a suspension of your account with us. We sincerely regret any inconvenience.

Best wishes,

Fran Cotton - Signature

Clian Balton,
Head of Online Team

I don't have a Nationwide account.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - 04.05.07 at 17:03:29

This one really takes the biscuit.   The complete recipe for identity theft.

Quote:
Dear VISA Credit Card Member,

You have received this email because we have strong reasons to believe that your VISA credit card had been recently compromised. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

If your account information is not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume your credit card is fraudulent and will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your VISA account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

Please scan the following documents, attach them to your email and forward them to: certify@visafraudcheck.com

- Your credit/debit card (front and back)
- Your credit/debit card statement or your utility bill (electic,phone bill )
- A valid photo ID (example: Passport, Drivers License, etc...)

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your credit card.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account.

Regards,
Safeharbor Department
Visa Card, Inc. Switzerland

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - 05.02.08 at 14:47:39

Don't fall for this one:

Quote:
Dear NatWest Bank customer,
We have implemented security measures consistent with our internal information security practices to help us keep your information secure. These measures include technical and procedural steps to protect your data from misuse, access or disclosure, loss, alteration or destruction.
One of these security measures is NOF (NatWest Online Form) to help us to keep your personal and banking data up to date.
You should complete NOF on a regular basis.
Please complete NOF using the link below:
NatWest Online Form [links to uk.natwest.com.learnip.org.cn/NOF/startupdate.aspx?refererident=8946459820139822
28283334979858953721376342861874&cookieid=986975331101]
NatWest Automated Mail Service. Please do not respond to this mail.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - 05.02.08 at 15:46:44

Hi Bob

My husband gets these emails every single day. It is awful that we have no way of stopping such people and I feel so sorry for anyone who may fall for this.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - 06.03.08 at 11:39:53

The latest scam email going the rounds is one purporting to be from Lloyds TSB.

Quote:
Dear Mr Rosamond,

Thank you for taking the time to send this information to us.

Please note that Lloyds TSB would never send our customers an email asking for internet banking log-on details. The email you have received is fraudulent and has been sent by an unscrupulous third party in order to obtain your User ID, password and memorable information.

The email has been sent randomly to both customers and non-customers of Lloyds TSB. If you should receive an email of this nature, please forward it to ourselves at emailscams@lloydstsb.co.uk and then delete it without clicking on any links or visiting any websites contained within it.

Occasionally, these fraudulent e-mails contain a virus therefore we would recommend that you run a scan to identify whether your computer has been affected. If you require further assistance with regards to identifying and removing a virus, please contact your anti-virus software provider.

Unfortunately, we are unable to prevent fraudsters from sending these emails. However, please be assured that we will endeavour to close down the fraudulent web site as soon as possible.

In the meantime, if you need any further information or advice with regards to on-line security, please click on the following link:

http://www.lloydstsb.com/security.asp

Kind Regards

Fraud Response Team

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - 21.11.08 at 09:40:23

A friend got this this morning.

Quote:
Dear valued AOL member, It has come to our attention that your billing informations are out of order.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records so you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, any failure in updating your records will result an account suspension.

Please update your records before the 30 November 2008.

Once you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal . Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future problems.

To update your AOL records Click here .

http://Billing.AOL.com

and this is the email that came with it.

Quote:
On following the link to Billing.aol it presented another page that again appears to be the AOL billing site.

All the AOL trademarks are there and in the right places.

Looks okay until halfway down the page they ask for your PIN number.

It even says you can change it after 3 days.

You may find that after 3 days your account will have been cleaned out.!!!

Please pass onto all members and ask that it be forwarded to any AOL users they know.

I have notified AOL of the scam and they confirm that they will never ask you for your password or PIN number.

Regards

Bernard

Panda won't allow access to the site so I can't look for myself but the clue is in the grammar of the first line which should have read, 'you billing information is' and not 'your billing informations are'.

These crooks are never as clever as they think they are.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - 25.11.08 at 18:19:34

My husband's business site is inundated with these fake emails and the latest being you need to resupply your banking details for google ads and it looked so convincing other than spelling. So again all be warned.

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #15 - 14.12.08 at 09:19:28

The Office of Fair Trading says there are £3.5bn taken in scams each year, with the average victim losing £850. This means a potential 4 million people are scammed, although it’s more likely that some of these people fall prey twice or more.

Christmas is a time when scammers can really destroy a lot of people. As the OFT says:

‘It is a period when many people feel under financial and emotional pressure. It's an opportune time for would-be scammers to prey on people's vulnerability with bogus prize, gift and cash offers.’

Common scams, the OFT says, are bogus lotteries, deceptive prize draws and fake psychics. These are all, perhaps, things that desperate people would consider more readily around Christmas and New Year. 'Scammers', adds the OFT, 'are also likely to prey on people wanting to slim down for the Christmas season with miracle slimming products.'
The emotional consequences of being scammed

Worse than the financial loss is the psychological effect. Many scam victims suffer depression or low self-esteem, and their confidence is destroyed.

The OFT has come up with a good list of things to do to spot and avoid scams.  

1. Be suspicious of letters, phone calls, or emails asking you to send money. Check out the sender and ask the opinion of family, friends or neighbours.
   2. If an offer looks too good to be true then, almost without doubt, it certainly is! Trust your gut instincts.
   3. Always think twice.
   4. Ask yourself: ‘Can I afford to lose money on this?’
   5. Never send money to anyone who says you’ve won the lottery or a big prize. You'll never see your winnings.
   6. Don’t be rushed into sending off money by time-sensitive deadlines.
   7. Never ring an 090 number unless you’re certain how much the call will cost, and know what you’re likely to receive.
   8. Never disclose your bank-account, credit-card or personal details to people you don’t know. If a company you have a relationship with calls asking for any such details, hang up, get their number from the Internet, and call them back.
   9. Don’t send money off just because a letter seems official. If you haven’t heard of them, check them out first.
  10. Scammers often use fake testimonials to support their claims, but don’t let them fool you. Make your own mind up.

Don't suffer scams in silence. Report scams to the OFT and Trading Standards.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - 15.12.08 at 10:00:07

As if to prove the point of the previous post, this arrived in my in box this morning.

Quote:
During our regularly scheduled maintenance of our Database, we have detected a slight error in your account informations.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

* A recent change in your personal information (i.e.change of Email address).
   * Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
   * An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please verify your informations by log on your account :

https://onlineaccounts.abbeynational.co.uk/CentralLogon/action=prepare

If your account information is not updated, your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Thank you

Legal Advisor
The Abbey Bank Group

* Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be received.

I've altered the link so that nobody will log onto it by mistake.

Once again, if we read these carefully, the fact that it is a scam is blatantly obvious from the grammar.   The phrase 'your account informations.' would obviously not be used by a bank.

Their real error, though, is the fact that I don't bank with the Abbey. Grin

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - 17.12.08 at 15:37:17

You are right Bob there is a lot of gramatical errors but today my daughter was sent an email from her IT head of department to warn that there is some problem if you log onto websites whilst using internet explorer. People are hacking into people's computers and gaining thier personal information.

Its awful that this can happen even with lots of spyware or antivirus whatever you call it [you can see I am not technically minded]. So I am using firefox instead at present.

Take care all and be extra careful like Bob says they seem to be more prevelant at this time of year. Be on your guard. Also of bogus callers to your doorsteps please do not give out information about yourself or the family or anything at all. If you dont know the person personally dont answer the door to them. Hopefully people will have a spyhole fitted to the door which is an invaluable little thing to have.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas.

Take care all
Teddy x

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - 07.01.09 at 20:21:28

The latest scam is reported here.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - 08.01.09 at 17:37:35

This is the latest email scam:

Quote:

Hello,

Am Ms. Moaiya  Hassan.  A daughter of later Dr. Almed Hassan who dead with my
mother on 30th Dec, 2008 in Gaza Palestinian war, I have no father, mother and
home .I Contact you for your help because God will gorge Israel for all they
have cost Gaza people today.

I am 23 years old girl my father told me  some  days before he died that we
shall be going to Ghana where he wanted us to live and continue his Gold
business which he couldn?t complete , now I get in contact with his  
lawyer that
my father deposited $6.8 Million Euro for investment last year.

I write you as my only hope of living now, I want you to stand as my father
partner and his lawyer will workout all the documents to enable you claim this
money for my life, I really need a family that will see as they daughter not
like stranger, Please if you are ready to assist me kindly let me know  
so that I
will send all your details to the lawyer immediately.

We will discuss parentage in my next reply, please if you can?t help don't
reply. See the link below::
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/its-war-
http://www.msnbc.msn
http://www.aljaz

There is practically no risk involved, you can call my father lawyer
+233245049835 Mr. Add Peter

Please do not say no to my request take me as one of your family and serve my
life, May god bless you and your family?

Ms. Moaiya Hassan.

They have to be pretty sick to use a war as an excuse to rob your bank account. Angry

I've altered the links so that nobody can link by mistake.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - 13.01.09 at 13:08:43

Like you say Bob how sick Angry

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - 14.02.09 at 08:40:06

Received from NARPO this morning:

Quote:
Dear Colleague

The message you are about to read has been forwarded by Mansfield Citizens Advice Bureau and was originally written by Dr Mark Barber, Head of Social Research and Policy, RNID, London – Please read for your information:

There is growing concern about a company called Benefits Helpline http://www.benefitshelpline.com/ that is providing advice on all sorts of welfare benefits through a £1.50 per minute premium telephone service. Not only is this extortionate, but customers have reported being inundated with texts and emails urging them to use the service further.  

Obviously it would be good to inform our clients that they can, if they so choose, use this service but that they will receive no more nor better information than they would through our own free-to-access expertise.

It's also worth noting that they come up prominently if you Google 'benefits advice', so the unwary may be caught easily.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #22 - 14.02.09 at 17:47:10

How awful is this Bob. People looking at just the web address would be thinking it is a free advice service, at least I would.

I will definitely show this to the Manager of my local CAB [where I am a general adviser/volunteer] and make sure this is passed on to everyone I can.

Thanks for posting Bob and like you say CAB are a free, impartial, non judgmental , confidential, advice service and no-one should pay a penny for advice in relation to benefits or anything else they need help with.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - 16.02.09 at 08:20:42

Latest Scam:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Sensitive area to your Account has been limited due to a mis-match of access code between your Security details. To enable you continue accessing your online account, it will only take you few minutes to re-activate your account.

Click on the guide-link below and follow the directions to instant activation or please call our Online Helpdesk on 08451 455 455 to activate your account and security information.

Go to your Account Online (Link Removed)

Important Notice:- You are strictly advised to match your Security details rightly to avoid service denial.

Co=operative Bank Helpdesk

Once again, the immediate clue is in the grammar and I hardly think the Co-op would have used an equals sign in the bank name.

However, my suspicions would have been aroused anyway as I don't have an account with the co-op bank.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - 12.06.09 at 10:44:37

Just received this from NARPO:

Quote:
Warning of bogus e-mail scam. I recently received an e-mail purporting to be from NS&I Premium Bonds advising me that as there had been no recent contact from me, my account had been put on hold and it would be in my interest to contact them on the e-mail address provided to keep my account active? The e-mail layout looked very authentic & official. I contacted NS&I via the phone number provided on the original paperwork under the heading 'Any questions?’ I was told the email was a scam, they would never contact premium bond investors via e-mail, do not contact them on the link provided as they are attempting to get secure information from you. Fortunately we hadn't. I had no knowledge of this scam and I am concerned that other members may not be aware either. If this has not already be done, please circulate to all members.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - 12.09.09 at 19:53:02

Another from NARPO

Quote:

The new telephone 'scam' has arrived in Medway.

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he was
dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately
of £31.00 , or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date..

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly
VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

I asked the guy's name - the very 'English' John Peacock with a very
'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so offered to
demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try
phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.
AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned
me again.
Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was
with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there
& then.
I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no
intention of paying him , I didn't believe his name or that he worked for
BT.
He hung up.
Did 1471 & phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognised.
I phoned the police to let them know , I wasn't the first! It's only just
started apparently but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people know by word of mouth of this scam.
The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's
real, so please let as many friends & family aware of this.

The caller cannot cut you off.  What he does is to press the mute button on
his phone which make you think you have been cut off.    What he is doing is
holding the line open and he can still hear you.   All you have to do is
hang up and do not try the phone again for at least 5 minutes and then the
telephone exchange automatically disconnects the caller from you and you can
then use your phone again.   If you do not do this and keep picking up the
phone the caller will be able to hear what you are saying  SO JUST END THE
CALL AND DO NOT USE THE PHONE FOR 5 MINUTES.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - 13.09.09 at 09:42:15

Thanks for this warning Bob. Angry I will pass it on to everyone I can.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #27 - 01.10.09 at 14:32:45

Some viruses try to access your e-mail address book and then send the virus to all your friends.   One way to combat this is to enter the following fictitious e-mail address into your list   AAAAAAAAA@AAAAAAA this will then be the first address in your list and when the virus tries to use your list it gets stuck on this address as it does not exist and so therefore cannot get to the rest of your list.

IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #28 - 01.10.09 at 18:14:49

Thanks for the warning Bob.  I have done that now  Smiley
Karen x

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - 12.01.10 at 10:06:55

Received from NARPO this morning:

Quote:
Dear Colleagues,

This morning I received a e-mail supposedly from NTLWORLD telling me that they are upgrading their system and required me to send them the following details, my e-mail username, my e-mail password and date of birth. I have checked with NTLWORLD and they confirm it is bogus, so just delete it, DO NOT ANSWER IT.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #30 - 14.01.10 at 00:45:08

Scams are doing the rounds again Bob. We got one for the business saying we have taken our broadband with a proper company as far as I can tell called Eclipse Internet and we have never heard of them. We have had two letters showing our so called bank details asking us to contact them if they are not correct.  

Needless to say they were not and we have no intention of contacting the premium rate phone number given. I sent the correspondence to trading standards locally and they are sending it onto the nearest TS office to the company address given by this company.

So many scams we need to be careful.

It is a good idea to let your local Trading Standards Office know about any scam as they look into it and can forewarn others.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #31 - 14.01.10 at 18:23:41

Believe it or not, there are a number of scams now connected with the Haiti disaster.  One in particular purports to come from the Red Cross.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #32 - 16.01.10 at 19:20:22

How disgusting is that Bob. How can people stoop so low. It is sickening. I know what I would like to do to them. Argh Angry

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #33 - 27.01.10 at 09:16:23

If you get a phone call from a firm calling itself Support Onclick in Bradford, hang up.   This firm is actually Pecon Software Ltd. (peconcal@vsnl.net), En-27, Salt lake Sector-V, Kolkata West Bengal,700091 INDIA Tel. +91.03340101601.

They will give you the number 01274900834.

The speaker will give an English name but have a heavy Indian accent.   They will ask you to log on to your computer and will tell you that the computer has a problem that they can fix.

Eventually, they will require a fee of £65.00 from your credit card and, guess what, they will take considerably more. This will be for a year's subscription to their site and there will be no way you'll get your money back.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #34 - 28.01.10 at 17:26:46

Thanks for this info Bob.

Also a good idea is is anyone gets this call they let the local trading standards office know about it

Teddy
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #35 - 31.01.10 at 12:27:16

If you get an email purporting to be from the Inland Revenue, ignore it.   The revenue does not use email to contact people.

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - 02.02.10 at 18:34:53

These scams are getting so frequent Bob our local Trading Standards has put bins in places e.g. local libraries big stores etc for people to put any letters pertaining to scams.

Shows how bad it is getting

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #37 - 23.07.10 at 10:48:41

This is a RED ALERT to all computer users.
A company calling themselves ' ANTIVIR SOLUTIONS ' sends out a message to all and any computer user, saying they have the answer to Virus problems on your computer.  If you open the message your computer will be corrupted by a Virus.  Making it impossible to use ( This has happened to one of our members ).

They are infecting your computer and wanting you to pay them for anti virus software to get rid of it.

If this happens to you then the only solution for you is to take it to a computer workshop for a complete overhaul of your system, which will be costly.

DONT OPEN ANY MESSAGE THAT YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #38 - 11.11.10 at 09:31:28

One scam going around at the moment is the 'you have a tax refund due' scam.   We had one this morning.   In the pretence that they are the Inland Revenue, the scammers will say that you are due a refund and will give you a site where you can fill in a claim form.

Of course that will want all your bank details on the form.

From the revenue web site:

Quote:
Tax rebate

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) would not inform customers of a tax rebate via email.   Do not visit the website contained within the email or disclose any personal or payment information.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #39 - 27.11.10 at 23:15:49

Be sure to check your receipts when shopping and paying with any type of card.   The latest scam is to add cash back to a bill an not hand over the cash.   How many times do you not look at the bill and just throw it away?

If you spot the scam, the operator will say that the machine is faulty.   Be sure and report this to a supervisor.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #40 - 06.12.10 at 13:41:41

Two warnings today.   If you get a phone call from an Indian sounding gentleman telling you that he has a settlement for the recent accident that you had when someone ran into the back of your car, just hang up.   Or you could do as I did and ask him to wait a moment and then put the phone down and go shopping.   That will stop him using that line to try and scam someone else for a while.

The othe warning is for anyone who does online shopping at ASDA.   If you do, check your bill thoroughly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/11/asda_shopping.html#more

IP Logged
Lesley

!

Reply #41 - 20.12.10 at 14:12:12

Mine usually start with something like, "Dear honoured Sir" !! - I apparently have won squillions so many times; have been left massive legacies and have so many bank accounts, it's astonishing. I just wish that I had loads of real money in all these unknown accounts. Makes you laugh until you think how many people respond to them. I bounce mine so that their computer which sends out millions of these all over the world (pfhishing or something like that), thinks my email address was wrong. Spam filters also help a bit but son't catch them all.  

Sad world we live in.  
Take care
Lesley

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #42 - 06.03.11 at 08:55:02

If you get a call from an Indian sounding gentleman (or anyone else for that matter) telling you that his firm have identified a problem with your computer and asking you to go to supportonclick.co.uk  either hang up or ask him to wait and then go shopping.

He may just ask for your credit card details, telling you he can sort out the problem over the phone.   Whatever else you do, never give a cold caller your details.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #43 - 28.03.11 at 20:36:26

There's an email scam going the rounds at the moment. Watch out for emails claiming to be from DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam. DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.  

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_194193

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #44 - 31.05.11 at 16:11:11

Got an email from skypeonl.com  this morning demanding £43 via Paypal for Skype.   The domain has never been registered.

If you get such an email, don't click on any links in it. Just forward it to spoof@paypal.com then delete it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #45 - 15.04.12 at 15:51:57

WILTSHIRE POLICE Keeping you informed

Swindon Police Station Gablecross Shrivenham Road South Marston Swindon Wiltshire SN3 4RB Telephone: 0845 408 7000

Hi all,
This has been passed on via another Force area through our own Fraud Department In Wiltshire Constabulary, and it is a very convincing SCAM.

We have been asked to disseminate the information as widely and was quickly as we can through Neighbourhood Watch, School Safe and others.
This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want. Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. As reported to the police:

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank), did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?"

When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number ..

But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card. Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card..

Don't give it to them . Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or MasterCard directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening .

Please pass this on to all your family and friends..

By informing each other, we protect each other.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #46 - 03.05.12 at 13:15:26

This actually happened to a friend of mine.   The scammer used the fact that the mobile had been delivered to simply walk into the house unannounced  and without knocking.   Had he not been caught, he might well have helped himself to anything lying around.

Quote:
Nottinghamshire Police has received a number of reports recently regarding what appears to be a mobile phone scam.
Incidents involve innocent people’s homes being used as a delivery address for mobile phones that they have not ordered.
Police believe the phones are being ordered by criminals using a bogus account and they are using residents’ addresses to have them delivered.
Incidents have happened predominately in the Rushcliffe area of Nottinghamshire; but this is not to say that it has not happened elsewhere.
The scam usually involves one or more mobile phones being delivered to a home owner who has not ordered the goods.
The occupant is usually confused as to why the mobile phones have been delivered to their address when they haven’t ordered them. In the meantime the occupant receives a phone call from someone claiming to be from the mobile phone company that the phones have been sent from. They tell the home owner that the phones have been delivered to their address in error and that someone will visit them to collect them.
However, mobile phone companies have stressed that they would never send someone to collect the mobile phones, and that they would instead send out an envelope for the phones to be returned in via the post.
Please be aware of this scam and anyone who receives mobile phones that have not been ordered should make contact with the mobile phone supplier that they have been delivered from and send them back to the supplier using the envelope they provide you with.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #47 - 17.07.12 at 09:14:55

Watch out for emails claiming to be from the DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam.
The DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.

This is a copy of the email that is circulating:

Subject: Update Your License Details  
We are currrently upgrading our database and all drivers are required to update and verify there driver's license details. To complete your license verification with us, you are required to fill out the form in the link below.
{Fake link}  
Drivers that refuses to upgrade his or her details within two weeks of receiving this verification email will lose his or her driver's License and will have to take a fresh driving test.  
We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you.  
Thank you for your co-operation.  
(c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

I think the clue is in the spelling and the grammar.  Grin

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #48 - 20.02.14 at 12:23:20

Received this this morning and HMRC said that they never use email:

Dear Applicant:

During the last assessment, we investigated your payments for the last three
years and our calculations shows you made over payments of 375.28 GBP.

Due to the high volume of refunds you must complete the Tax Return Form.
Please make sure you complete the form correctly.
There are now only a few cases where HMRC still allows you to send your
tax return on paper, instead of sending it online, without getting a penalty.

Please complete the Tax Return Form

--------------------------------------------------------------

S. M. Birbeck
Senior Manager

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - 22.05.14 at 09:02:44

Recently we parked in a public car park. As we drove away I noticed a sticker on the rear window of the car. When I took it off after I got home, it was a receipt for petrol. Luckily my friend told me not to stop as it could be someone waiting for me to get out of the car. Then we received this email yesterday.

WARNING FROM POLICE
THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN

BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE -- A NEW WAY TO DO CAR-JACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)!

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating... You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine put it into reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you stop and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off.

They practically run you over as they speed off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the car-jacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, lock your doors and just drive away!!

Remove the paper later. And be thankful that youread this e-mail.. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women.

A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please tell your friends

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #50 - 18.11.14 at 14:55:48

FRAUD ADVICE FOR ANDROID MOBILE PHONE USERS
Please pass on this advice to as many friends, relatives, neighbours as you can and encourage them to spread the news so that as many people as possible are alerted.
Action Fraud is asking users of Android mobile phones to beware of a new scam.
The scam, which is called a 'ransom ware' sends the user a text, which includes a link for ‘Photoviewer’ or something of a similar name.
If you click on this your phone is locked and you are asked to pay to unlock it. Similar messages are also sent to your contacts, encouraging them to open the same link.
This scam has originated in America and to date, the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau are not aware of its existence in the UK.
Should you receive this text (what to do?)
Anyone who is affected by this is advised to put their phone in safe mode and reset it.
Please don’t click on links that you are unsure about and report anything suspicious to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #51 - 26.09.15 at 08:39:51

Anyone on Virgin please be aware that you may receive an email saying that your payment couldn't be taken because your details need updating and giving a link to click on.   It says that, if you don't click on the link you will be disconnected.  

Just delete it as it is a phishing email and Virgin are aware of it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #52 - 02.10.15 at 10:20:18

If you use Paypal there is a phishing email going around saying that it is a receipt for a £64 payment to Skype.   It gives a link if you want to challenge the payment.   Just delete it.   Don't click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #53 - 25.05.16 at 08:46:56

The latest scam going the rounds is purporting to be from Virgin Media.   It say that they were unable to take your last payment from your bank and the Direct Debit need to be set up again.   They say that, if you do not do this, your account will be suspended.   They then ask for your bank details and will empty your bank account.

This is very very good and really looks like the real thing.

If you get an email like this forward it to spoof@virginmedia.com

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #54 - 28.06.16 at 13:32:44

I you are an Amazon customer be aware that there is an email purporting to be from Amazon headed 'Surprise For You Dear { name }
- Click Here ...

Don't.

The e-mail you received wasn't from Amazon.co.uk, and we're investigating the situation. We suggest you never respond to any e-mail message that asks you to provide personal or financial information, open an attachment you weren’t expecting, or navigate to a website linked to in the e-mail.

If you replied to the e-mail or visited a linked website but didn't provide any personal information (such as your login or password) your Amazon.co.uk account information should be safe.

Amazon.co.uk doesn’t send e-mails that require you to open attachments, nor do we allow Sellers on Amazon Marketplace to do so. We recommend that you never open any e-mail attachments from suspicious or unknown sources.

If you receive a suspicious e-mail that looks like it was sent from Amazon.co.uk and contains an attachment, we recommend you forward the e-mail to stop-spoofing@amazon.com (as an attachment, if possible) without opening it. Delete the e-mail after you forward it.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #55 - 19.07.16 at 06:34:56

If you receive this forward it to spoof@virginmedia.com

Dear Customer,
Your Virgin Media update is ready and waiting for you online, and please NOT, that we were unable to process your most recent bill online, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request that you update your account details, just sign into My Virgin Media here and update your card details so that future payments are not delayed.
And which will confirm your full QuickPay Update.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely
Virgin Media Payments Ltd.

Do not click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #56 - 07.10.16 at 08:04:15

Had this in my in-box this morning:

Dear PayPal Member,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to verify the Billing Information. Failure to verify your records will result in account suspension. click the link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records.. To verify your identity, kindly follow reference below and take the directions to instant activation.

There are several instances - the double full stop for instance - that will alert you to the fact that this is an attempt to get into your account but just be aware.

If you get one of these, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #57 - 10.10.16 at 12:04:35

Another one turned up today:
We recorded a payment request from '''www.HostGator.com''' to enable the charge of $2.95/month on your account.

Because the order was made from an European internet address, we put an Exception Payment on transaction id 03481821 motivated by our Geographical Tracking System.

THE PAYMENT IS PENDING FOR THE MOMENT.

If you made this transaction or if you just authorize this payment, please ignore or remove this email message.

If you didn't make this payment and would like to decline the $2.95 billing to your card, please click xxxx

If you get this forward to spoof@paypal.com   Whatever you do, don't click on the link.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #58 - 07.11.16 at 20:51:03

There's a link appearing on Facebook - something to do with an Anthony Hopkins appreciation Society. Don't click on it. It contains a virus.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #59 - 12.03.17 at 21:11:36

If you see an advert on Facebook to do with Michael Caine being dead (not true) don't click on it as it will put tracking cookies on you computer and it is very difficult to get rid of.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #60 - 19.04.17 at 14:12:29

For those in the UK
Scam alert!!!!!
 Just had a call purporting to be from the Telephone Preference Agency saying they're upgrading their service.
 Apparently I will never get another nuisance call in my life!
 Started checking details, address, postcode, did I pay by direct debit, was it due to expire in 2018 (wrong, they don't expire). At this point I started getting suspicious, since the TPA is free, but when he wanted to check the expiry date on 'one of my payment cards' I stopped cooperating and started asking why. He kept insisting so I told him he was becoming a nuisance call and hung up.  
 Rang the TPA and they confirmed it is scam originating outside the UK. They are looking into it but the numbers used keep changing, so difficult to pin down. My caller came up as 'number unavailable'.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print