Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
20.10.21 at 14:33:30
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
holidays (Read 5504 times)
latexal

!

holidays
03.08.07 at 00:23:47

Smiley We have just returned from yet another great LATEX FREE holiday to Tenerife.

H10 hotels have been brilliant over the past three years. They have enabled us to have a worry free holiday with Alex our 12 year old son who is type 1. We have never been made to feel like a nuisance or worse still, neurotic, as I am sure many of you out there have experienced. British businesses and the general British public seem to think it is a great joke, sniggering about condoms etc and treating you like your some sort of neurotic idiot. It's so refreshing to deal with people who take you seriously but at the same time  don't make a big fuss over the things that they need to do to help.
This year we observed a worker from outside come into the outside bar to do some maintenance. He had latex gloves on but was promptly told by a member of bar staff that he would have to remove them. We watched them go into the bin and then he was told to wash his hands. All of this we observed by accident and at a distance so they did not know that we were there. What are the chances of that happening in Britain. I'd like to bet nil.  
Also the Spanish do not seem to have the British obessesion with the dreaded balloons. We saw 3 balloons in 2 weeks.  
At Tenerife airport we were getting some food for the plane journey from Upper Crust who are also in Britain. I told them in English about the allergy and to my surprise they understood the concept even though their English was not that good. Without a fuss they brought the box out after assuring me that the gloves were not latex and that they understood. I had tried this at a branch in England to met by blank looks and disbelief. You would of though I was speaking in a foreign language in  my own country . Perhaps they should send them to Spain for their health and safety training.
Hope you all manage to have as good and safe a holiday as we did.
Thanks
Kathryn and Alex

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Re: holidays
Reply #1 - 03.08.07 at 10:41:51

SmileyHi Kathryn and Alex

Glad you all had a great 'latex-free' holiday and well done to the hotel concerned.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

I know exactly how you feel about the dreaded balloons. It appears that it is only the UK that is so obsessed with using balloons at every opportunity. When in France for two weeks I did not see one single balloon anywhere and how refreshing it was to be able to go about your business without fear of a balloon staring you in the face in a shop etc. It was the best two weeks of health I have had this year and as soon as I came back I was ill again. Smiley Smiley Grin

It appears that everywhere in the UK is balloons, in shops, eating places, garages, shopping malls, hairdressers, even doctors surgeries and hospitals!!!! Sad Sad Angry

I have also noticed that lots of adverts on TV are using balloons in their adverts - !!!!! Has anyone else noticed this - I think the UK are obsessed with balloons as it is a cheap way of advertising but for the latex allergy suffer could be deadly. Sad Sad Sad Sad Angry

I am a member of a forum for my salicylate intolerance and the members on that website are from all over the World. They tell me that the only places in the US that may use balloons are in garages which are usually well out of towns that sell cars even then they dont see much of them but definitely not in shops etc. This is the same with the other countries that are on the website like Australia, New Zealand and many other countries.

So why why why are Britain getting away with using latex balloons in such a vast majority of places???? Angry Angry Angry Angry

So Kathryn and Alex - so happy you had a nice holiday and isnt it nice not to worry about latex in balloons or gloves or anywhere else - nice to get a real break from it all. Glad you all had a great time. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Take care
Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Tinkerbell

Reply #2 - 04.08.07 at 15:26:41

I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday, I still cannot get my head around the difficulties in flying, can I ask which airline you went with ?

We stayed in Scotland, in a cottage in Boat of Garten. It has one double room and 2 twin rooms, owners are very helpful and I had no problems, happy to recommend it.  
Wendy

IP Logged
latexal

!

Reply #3 - 05.08.07 at 00:18:57

SmileyHi Wendy,
We flew with Thomson air line. We phoned beforehand to tell them. This meant that the crew would be informed. However we were told to mention on check in and prior to boarding. This we did and the person incharge of the fligth went and spke to the crew and also checked whether the the cleaners had used latex gloves and also to warn the crew that if there was medical emergency not to use latex gloves as we had none latex ones that they could use. So far all 6 flights since Alex was diagnosed have been incident free. The only other thing I would say is watch out at airports for security staff at passport control wearing latex gloves also take your translation with you as I have had to use it at foreign airports to explain why we could not be near anyone in latex gloves. Having said that this year both  in Manchester and Tenerife not a latex glove was in sight at the airport when in all the other years there have been.

Hopes this helps
 Kathryn and Alex

IP Logged
Tinkerbell

Reply #4 - 11.08.07 at 11:03:49

Thanks, that is really helpful. Just been looking at the H10 Hotels, for October, now worrying about cars /transport to the resort.. aghhh.
Wendy

IP Logged
latexal

!

Reply #5 - 12.08.07 at 15:18:26

Hi Wendy
We have travelled to the airport both in the taxis and on coaches and on buses during the time there. The only problem we have had was this year and it was on one of the buses. It was brabd new and we were sitting by the exit doors. Alex started to feel tight chested and took his inhaler after the doors opened a few times. I think it was the seals around the doors as it was brand new. O ther thaqn that we have had no problems. Also I checked with the hospitals and in Tenerife and Gran Canaria  they have access to latex free medical equipment also I discovered during my research that  most mainland Spain Hospitals do also.
Hope this helps
Kathryn and Alex. Smiley

IP Logged
alison
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 15.08.07 at 11:09:56

Just returned from a lovely holiday in Majorca and have to say they are not obsessed with balloons either - when i win the lottery - that's were you will find me !!!!!!!!!  

Had a slight probelm with one buffet meal at the hotel, not sure what I ate but my inhaler soon sorted things and it didn't spoil my holiday. !!!!!

On a slightly different note, I sometimes have problems in traffic jams, yesterday it took us over 4 hours to get back from gatwick due to M25 crash (usually 1.5 hrs at most).  We have air condition in our VW Passat, Andy switched the air condition so that only the air inside the car circulated (nothing comes in from outside) and I was problem free.  Which was one less thing to worry about !!!!!!!

Take care, everyone.  

Alison

IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #7 - 20.08.07 at 11:34:57

Kathryn, Alex, Wendy and Alison  Smiley  Great to hear you all had good holidays with no problems!!

We also had a good holiday staying in a cottage in Dartmouth with the most breathtaking views from the balcony  Smiley  The weather was very kind to us and we had sun every day.  It is a lovely place.

Sophie had a good time, favourite thing was crab catching on the quayside, she caught over 60 during the week, and we had a day on the beach and did lots of walking around Dartmouth and the coastal paths.  We managed a couple of meals out in a hotel in Dartmouth with no problems at all, they catered really well for Sophie's allergies and no latex gloves used, she was a bit worried about it but we encouraged her and thankfully it went well so hopefully it has given her some confidence back to eat out.  

She only had Piriton twice the whole week, I think Dartmouth suited her so we may have to relocate!!

Take care everyone, Karen and Sophie x

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print