Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sanitary Protection (Read 6245 times)
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Sanitary Protection
01.12.07 at 14:36:58

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if sanitary towels are likely to contain latex at all?   I was thinking about the sticky strips on them.

Bought some a while ago for Sophie so I am prepared for when she needs them but have only just thought about them maybe containing latex.

I am hoping someone on here may know before I start trying to find out directly from the various companies.

Thanks, Karen xx

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Re: Sanitary Protection
Reply #1 - 01.12.07 at 14:51:32

Hi Karen

I am sorry I cant answer that question for sure but I think I remember someone telling me there can be latex present in sanitary products. I dont use them as I had emergency hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. Sorry I cant give answer.

I think the best thing to do would be to email, write or phone each company you might want to use the products of and make sure. Again thinking of the places they are made there could be a good chance that there is latex present in these factories whether in the making of the product or indeed people using latex gloves who handle the products or package them.

Hopefully someone who uses the products will be able to give you a definite answer Karen but better to find out now than wait till she needs them. Good luck and hope someone has answer.

Take care
Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 01.12.07 at 14:54:49

Hi Karen Smiley

Just remember there was something on the LASG listings about sanitary products. I have cut and paste it for you. Hope this is of help but I would still make sure as we dont know when lists get updated. There is a freephone number for proctor and gamble in this list anyway Smiley

Take care Teddy

Feminine sanitary pads and tampons:
MAY CONTAIN LATEX: SOME FEMININE SANITARY PADS, TAMPONS AND PANT LINERS. BOOTS ULTRA THIN TOWELS (contains 15% latex not in direct contact with skin),  
BOOTS ULTRA THIN PANTLINER (contains less than 1% latex not in direct contact with skin). BOOTS DISPOSABLE BRIEFS (leg elastic contains 90% latex). BODYFORM PADS (the coversheet is heat bonded with latex).
LATEX-FREE: All Always  products (Procter & Gamble 0800 187916). Boots Standard Pantliners, Boots Scented Pantliners, Boots Petite Press on Towels, Boots Tampons, Boots Traditional Press on Towels, Boots Protective Briefs (Boots 0115 9595167). All Kimberley Clark Kotex feminine care products (Kimberley Clark 01732 594000). The conveyor belts used by Procter & Gamble in the manufacture of Tampax are all polyurethane.

Teddy
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 01.12.07 at 14:59:23

Also found this alternative Karen

Natracare
Bodywise [UK] Ltd
Unit G
7A4 Business Centre
Victoria Rd
Avonmouth  
Bristol
BS11 9DB

44(0) 1179823492

Do you use any latex in your products?

Natracare never uses latex. Without enforced labelling of feminine hygiene products, it is difficult for women with latex allergy to find out that there are some sanitary pads and liners available today that do use latex in their products. Latex can be used to make the wings on pads more flexible, or it can be used as a binder in the cover that is used on the surface of pads and liners, where it is in close contact with the skin.  

At least this is another alternative you can try Karen

Take care Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #4 - 01.12.07 at 16:09:41

Wow Teddy, thanks so much for all that info  Smiley Smiley

That is very helpful.  Actually I just had a look and the ones I got are 'Always' which is on the latex free list!  Like you said though I will check first just to make sure.

Interesting to see that latex is used in some for the wings to make them flexible and even on the surfaces of some so good job that I thought to check them out first.  I think Sophie would be alright as long as there is no direct contact to skin but safer to have latex free ones if we can.  The things we have to think about hey  Roll Eyes

Thanks again for your help Teddy.

Any info I find out I will post here.

Karen xx

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
alison
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01.12.07 at 16:10:03

Karen,

I always use Always without any problems, although I've never checked with the manufacturer that they are latex free.

Alison.

IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #6 - 01.12.07 at 16:14:05

Thanks to you as well Alison  Smiley

That is great to hear that you use Always without any problems, that is very reassuring.  Sounds like without realising it I bought the right ones!!

Hope you are well.

Karen xx

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 01.12.07 at 17:44:43

Glad Alison could advise you of the ones she uses so they must be okay, Mums intuition right enough. Amazing to think of all the ones you could chose from

Teddy

p.s. Hi Alison

Hope you are doing well Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #8 - 04.12.07 at 14:15:07

Hi everyone,

I e-mailed Proctor and Gamble this morning about latex contact in their Always products.

Just got a very prompt reply confirming that there is no latex in any of their Always and Tampax products.  So nice when you get such a quick and pleasing reply  Smiley

They will have our business for some years to come now  Grin

I know this has confirmed what was already on the LASG listing but nice to be reassured!!!

Karen xx

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - 04.12.07 at 14:50:07

Hi Karen and Sophie

How right you are - even if we are told by others whether on the forum or not I always like to check it out with the manufacturers. Not because we dont beleive one another but as things to change daily in our busy World we must make sure 100% that we are safeguarding our health and wellbeing.

So Karen you must be so relieved. Well done Proctor and Gamble on giving such a prompt reply as you say. Maybe you could put a posting on the Congratulations to Companies heading Karen - lets face it the companies we wish to congratulate are few and far between so it is really comforting to know that they will indeed be safe for Sophie when the dreaded time comes.

If I did use them I would just keep checking with them e.g. when you notice the packaging has changed - usually it is just to modernise but when packaging changes for me with other issues I have it always rings an alarm bell and it is time for contacting the companies concerned just to keep our minds 100% satisfied we are staying safe.

Well Done Karen and Protctor and Gamble.

Take care
Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print