Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
18.01.19 at 21:51:56
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Latex Free Kit (Read 11227 times)
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Latex Free Kit
06.11.08 at 17:15:29

Paula has a latex free kit supplied by our local hospital.   This is what it contains. I don't know whether it is all necessary but, as it was free, we gratefullt accepted it.   It goes everywhere with us an, on occasion, the hospital has used some of the contents and replaced them later.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Kim

!

Re: Latex Free Kit
Reply #1 - 06.11.08 at 18:39:50

We have had to put our own latex free kit together,beginning with the contents of the latex free kit that the ambulance service carry and gave to us, so our kits contains:

latex free gloves,small,medium and large
Sterile latex free gloves sizes 6,7 & 8
latex free dressings/gauze
micropore/transpore tape
latex free plasters
latex free cohesive bandage
latex free cotton bandage
cannulas-several sizes (pink, green and grey)and fixative dressings
latex free giving sets
latex free oxygen mask and nebuliser kits
airways, several sizes
syringes- various sizes from 1ml-10ml
needles
latex free tourniquet
resussitation mask/bag
latex free stethiscope
latex free BP machine (arm type is preferred by ambulance crews and we have found Omron helpful but we also have a wrist one for travelling light)
finger pulse oximeter (latex free but not all are) measures oxygen levels in blood and pulse
steri strips
alcohol wipes
sterile water packs for washing out wounds (saline sachets)
elastoplast spray plaster (confirmed latex free and used with no issues)
Savlon anticeptic spray
Saline flush for canullas (only recently  obtained for an overseas trip- not carried before)
Hydrocortisone ampules (recently obtained for an overseas trip- not carried before)
2 additional epipens

We have put it all in a green medical bag which usually goes everywhere with us although often left in the car if its nearby. We got the bag on ebay and made small packs within it from various sizes of clear plastic pencil cases so everything is to hand if needed.

We also made up some sheets with all  of Lewis' details(name,address,  GP, next of kin/family and contact details, medication-what kind and what doses,allergies, medical conditions etc) and laminated them for ambulance crews to copy for their notes, we made signs re the latex allergy and laminated those in case he ended up in hospital and we made and laminated help sheets to hand to people if he went into shock and I needed help to deal with him- so that the correct information is given to ambulance crews  

Some stuff has been from the ambulance service, some from the hospital but mainly built up by us  over time.

Kim & Lewis

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 25.11.08 at 18:55:38

Hi Bob and Kim and Lewis

This is something I will have to contact my local ambulance service and try to sort out. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Tabby

!

Reply #3 - 07.01.09 at 11:20:34

Hi, thanks for all the info on a latex free kit. I have tried to find out about a kit but I was told to try and buy the supplies online from medical supply companies.  
Has anyone found any useful websites?

IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #4 - 19.03.09 at 17:45:20

If this is any help, these are the patient advisory liason service contact details for the south east area. You can phone and arrange for the latex allergy issue to be flagged on their database.

Kent PALS
South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Freepost MA1429
Heath Road
Coxheath
Maidstone
ME17 4BG

Tel: 01622 740348

Surrey PALS
The Horseshoe
Bolters Lane
Banstead
SM7 2AS

Tel: 01737 363866

Sussex PALS
40-42 Friars Walk
Lewes
East Sussex
BN7 2XW

Tel: 01273 897888

South Central Ambulance Service
Southern House
Sparrowgrove
Otterbourne
Winchester
SO21 2RU

Tel: 01962 898000 ask for PALS as this is the switchboard number.

My local PALS where very helpful and are providing me with a latex free first aid kit for use at home...

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 19.03.09 at 18:55:41

Thanks for this Liz. I will need to try to find out about my local PALS and see if I can get a kit.

Thanks for the info and hope this finds you well

Take care

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - 27.10.09 at 13:29:20

Thanks for this Bob. Can you send me it as an attachement via email as it won't let me print off from the forum and I am going to hospital to see my allergist tomorrow and I can show her it.

Thanks Bob.

How is the house coming along. As you know Laura has just got a new house and they have stripped it from top to bottom and next week are having the plasterer in to redo all the walls of the whole house so you can imagine what it is like.

It only took them a week to empty the house and strip all the paper off etc so they are all shattered but happy and excited about the new house.

Take care Bob

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
latexal

!

Reply #7 - 15.02.12 at 19:21:11

Hi Everyone

Alex has been under orthodontist at hospital as his  own dentist would not touch with a barge pole but that's another story. On our last visit after 18 mths of treatment he announced that most of the equipment at the hospital is now latex free as a rule of thumb. This is the Countess of Chester in Cheshire. I am going to ask him if this is the norm across the NHS or just a decision made by that particular hospital. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #8 - 15.02.12 at 21:25:54

Suspect this is a decision made by that particular hospital not all are even though some they think they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print