Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fig Trees (Read 10138 times)
Nic
Newbies

!

Fig Trees
03.05.09 at 17:32:45

Has anyone had problems with fig trees or figs?

The fig leaves ooze latex.

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Fig Trees
Reply #1 - 03.05.09 at 19:04:02

Hi Nic and welcome to the forum. I've never heard of a problem with figs but, be assured, you will hear if there is one.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #2 - 04.05.09 at 09:12:26

We have a small fig tree in the garden, I have not had any problems but then if I see the tree or figs oozing sap, I keep clear of it...

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 04.05.09 at 22:12:22

Never heard of this either Nic. Don't have a fig tree in garden but my Mum loves figs.

Teddy

Teddy
  IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #4 - 03.10.09 at 18:58:10

I found the following article on fig trees:

http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/120-1259/2658/

The article states "However, anaphylaxis has been reported after eating figs; in some of these cases, this may represent a cross-reaction with natural rubber latex."

The article also refers to the following two articles...

Dechamp C, Bessot JC, Pauli G, Deviller P. First report of anaphylactic reaction after fig (Ficus carica) ingestion. Allergy. 1995;50:5146.  
Brehler R, Abrams E, Sedlmayr S. Cross-reactivity between Ficus benjamina (weeping fig) and natural rubber latex. Allergy. 1998;53:4026.  

IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #5 - 03.10.09 at 19:06:16

Also just found this....

Natural rubber products are made from fig tree (Ficus carica) by homogenizing the plants in an acetone/benzene and separating the rubber-containing phase by centrifugation. F. carica contains about 4% (w/v) natural rubber in latex, and 0.3, 0.1 and 0.1 % in bark, leaf and fruit, respectively. Molecular mass of the natural rubber from F. carica is about 128 kD. The latex serum of F. carica contains only a small numbers of proteins, with a 48 kD and a 25 kD protein as major proteins. Similar to Hevea brasiliensis and Parthenium argentatum Gray, proteins participating in rubber biosynthesis of F. carica are tightly associated with the rubber particles. Natural rubber is made using the latex serum and the proteins in latex, leaf, bark, and fruit of F. carica.  

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - 04.10.09 at 10:21:33

Thanks Liz, I didn't know that figs could be a problem.   Whilst looking into this I found an interesting article:

http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/winter98pj/latex.html

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print