Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
26.02.21 at 22:16:05
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
latex fruit allergy information (Read 20445 times)
Teddy
Global Moderator

latex fruit allergy information
04.09.09 at 10:09:54

Just in case this is of interest to any members who may also have food allergies relating to the latex allergy

http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/latexfood.htm

Just for interest only

Teddy
  IP Logged
Mel_P
Newbies

!

Re: latex fruit allergy information
Reply #1 - 19.09.09 at 19:54:33

Pineapple is mentioned, but I am struggling to find any information about this allergy in relation to latex as well.... anyone else in my position?

Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 20.09.09 at 12:54:43

Hi Mel-P

Nice to speak to you on the forum. You can see on this website that pineapple is mentioned.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/environmental/indoors/food_safety/latex/latex2.htm

I also have salicylate intolerance and could never eat pineapple before but I am building up my intolerance side of things so for me the pineapple is not related to the latex allergy but it is to my salicylate intolerance and now and then I can manage a little bit. The worst that can happen for me personally is hives from eating it.

I can even manage one strawberry a week now and I though I would never manage to eat a strawberry again but again this is over time of building up my intolerances.

For me the fruit side of it is not related to my latex allergy.

Take care

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Sandra
Newbies

!

Reply #3 - 02.01.10 at 12:01:26

Hi Mel_p and Teddy,

When I was diagnosed with my allergy, I was given a list of fruits that I had to be very wary of.  

Pineapples, Citrus fruits (incl grapefruit), Tomatoes, Bananas, Kiwi fruit, and raw potatoes. I was also advised that anything grown on a vine disagree with me but so far so good on grapes  Wink ( I notice citrus fruit is not mentioned on the list in the link)

I already knew I was allergic to oranges and pineapple before I was diagnosed, over the years I have become intolerant to tomatoes, limes, kiwi fruit and I can no longer peel potatoes due to my hands and arms coming out in hives and uncontrollably itching

Hope this helps

Sandy Xx

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - 02.01.10 at 13:06:19

Hi Sandra

Nice to talk to you again. Even although cross relating to latex my fruit and vegetables are either intolerance to salicylates or to full allergy to sulphites which is e.g. sprayed on the banana skin.

I wish I could eat grapes I do miss eating so much of my healthy fruits and vegetables. However trying to build up my intolerances but so far can't eat a lot of things including a simple carrot.

Take care
Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Drizzle

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 07.01.10 at 13:26:57

Hey All

Echoing Alex's experience my allergy to latex was only diagnosed after a very serious episode with avocado. Its a real shame as I'm vegetarian and avocado is a frequent thing offered to us Veggies.

Drizzle

IP Logged
Tami

!

Reply #6 - 03.03.10 at 22:13:55

Hi all.

I have type 1 allergy. And since coming to this site i have found out about the intolerances of fruit lol.  

i have ruled out tomatoes, melon, fresh pineapple and peeling pots is out for me [ have not told my partner i can wear gloves to do it.... so keep that quiet!]   Grin

And today i tried kiwi for the first time in a few years an my mouth is now has no skin on it , multiple blisters!  Roll Eyes

Ah well least now i have an answer for it all!

Hope u are all well  
Tami x

Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 04.03.10 at 21:31:04

Hi Tami Smiley

Nice to speak to you via the forum. Yes the forum is great for finding out things from others. What would we do without it?

The only people other than my allergist and my dental consultant that understands my allergies are the forum members.

Family members are wonderful don't get me wrong but they cannot understand like forum members.

Take care and keep well
Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Angela
Newbies

!

Reply #8 - 25.03.12 at 20:21:28

I have type 1 Latex Allergy  
and i also am extremely allergic to Banana's, Tomatoes, Kiwi fruit, Mango, Soya  
plus many more things but these i know are linked  

I am Anaphylactic allergic to  
Pea  Nuts, Tree nuts, Fish, Shellfish, Chicken, Pork, Beef,Turkey,Lamb, Soy, All Dairy including Eggs, All Legumes (Pulses like Peas)  
my diet is extremely restricted at times its a nightmare!  

Email   IP Logged
Jen

!

Reply #9 - 26.03.12 at 22:40:09

I have anaphylaxis to tomato and kiwi, both of which I knew about before the latex allergy appeared.

Jen

IP Logged
JohnS
Newbies

!

Reply #10 - 05.08.12 at 10:59:10

Hi All, Years ago I used to have periods of wet eczma. I went around in cotton gloves trying to keep the skin clean and dry. One day I drank a whole carton of fresh orange juice and spent the next two days in a darkened room with migraine and then two days with the dreaded lethargy. I made the connection and I have not had a serious outbreak of either problem again. I do occassionally forget but I always get small reminders.

I don't find that I can improve my tollerance. I think that if you keep up a constant exposure to some thing your immune system gets exhausted with reacting to it but if you have a holiday from it you will find that your system rembers the allergen just as well the next time. As far as I am concerned oranges are out for good. There are plenty of fruits that I have never tried yet.

I have been looking at sulphite intollerance and allergy websites and I have found some really useful info. Apparently for berries the material in the bottom of the container contains sulphite to keep the fruit fresh. I soak/wash all fruit and veg and this allows me to eat them safely (previously I used to fall asleep at lunch time which didn't do much for my status at work!). Sulphite intollerance is very different to allergies. I eat/drink small amounts all the time. As long as the levels are low there is no real problem.

The problem I have with potatoes is the natural detergent in the skin. It is really potent but it washes off with plenty of hot water and some mild soap.

Thanks to all at the LASG site. Its invaluable.

JohnS Shocked Shocked

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #11 - 06.08.12 at 08:36:08

Thank you for your comment John.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - 13.05.13 at 14:20:32

Although pineapple is mentioned in this list, Paula can eat pineapple with no ill effects.   She is very allergic to practically everything else on the list.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Adrian

!

Reply #13 - 22.04.14 at 11:43:07

I would like to find out more on the food side, as I suffer a lot with mild stomach pains which I have been told is most likely connected to latex. kept getting stomach ache after eating banana's until my Doctor told me that they are high in Latex.  

I know about banana's and kiwi's ( have also seen orange juice with banana puree in it). Other than that I'm a bit in the dark.  

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - 23.04.14 at 07:26:11

Among the fruits known to cause this problem, Adrian, are all large stoned fruits such as plums, peaches, cherries etc, bananas, kiwi fruit, melons, tomatoes, unpeeled potatoes, apples, pears, chestnuts, cucumber, sweetcorn, celery, fig, hazelnut, passion fruit and pineapple.   However it would seem that some affect some people and not others.

This is, by no means, a comprehensive list and we keep hearing of other stuff that affects people.   My wife is Type 1 but can eat pineapple with no ill effects.   However, she cannot eat any of the other stuff on this list.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print