Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ecg sticky pads?? (Read 3447 times)
Tami

!

ecg sticky pads??
26.03.10 at 16:29:43

Hi, only me having another rant! Grin

I had to go to the docs for blood tests and an ECG for unrelated condition.

Twice i advised the nurses, that i was allergy type 1.

Got to appointment being told yes its fine.

anyway get in there and the nurse says dont worry im using  non latex gloves! I asked about everything else and she looked at me amazed!

came down to it and she had no idea about the electrodes on the ECG.

And neither did anyone else so i got rescheduled!

So angry, twice they were warned.

Does anyone know if they do contain latex?  
The sticky bits that they stick on ur chest?

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: ecg sticky pads??
Reply #1 - 26.03.10 at 16:55:25

Certainly some of them do.   Paula had a very bad reaction to some pads once.   Took her skin off.

Sounds fairly typical of the NHS when it comes to latex Tami. Angry

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Tami

!

Reply #2 - 26.03.10 at 19:39:16

thought so didnt want to chance it.  

u thought they would know more about latex allergy.

sent them a stinking email saying they really ought to have a non latex set of everything.

Fuming !

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 26.03.10 at 21:23:29

We were in the same position when Paula first had problems with Latex.   We complained to everyone; the NHS Trust, the ambulance service and our MP.   He sent us a copy of the local hospital's latex policy which, as I pointed out to him, didn't actually say anything.

Now, the hospital has latex free pods in every ward, latex free examination rooms and we have latex free ambulances.

Don't give up; keep complaining and don't take no for an answer.   Latex has been declared a dangerous substance by the Health and Safety Executive so point that out and, if necessary, threaten them with legal action.   You'll be surprised how they will sit up and take notice.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
ndj

!

Reply #4 - 27.03.10 at 09:13:25

Hi Tami

I had a 24 hour tape done and unfortunately they told me the pads were latex free but weren't - ended up scarred for about six months.  When they took the pads off I had open weeping sores and unfortunately this prolonged contact seems to be the factor that ramped up my reaction to latex.  Prior to this my reactions were incredibly mild - in fact I only reacted to powdered latex gloves and nothing else.  Since then am far more reactive.

My understanding is that some of the paediatric pads they use on SCBU are totally latex free because they are dealing with premi babies.  At least this is what they told me at hospital.  Laughably, they also told me they thought I would be ok given the pads were hypoallergenic!!!!!!

IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #5 - 27.03.10 at 09:20:30

ECG pads as everyone has said tend to contains latex... also be carefull if you have to have a 24 hour blood pressure monitor as the kit at our doctors contains latex and the sticky pads on tens machines ... so this may be repeated elsewhere....

IP Logged
Mel_P
Newbies

!

Reply #6 - 27.03.10 at 22:28:48

It really is very frustrating isn't it... ignorance is bliss it appears for most NHS staff. I had an ECG done late last year, ironically having had an irregular pulse detected by an A&E nurse having been admitted with anaphylaxis! When the surgery were embarking on the ECG test, I suddenly thought to ask about the pads and the nurse had no idea.... the sister was called who scorned me for asking and to just "get on with it"! I was horrified! Just reaffirms my hatred of surgery nurses too I am afraid who never take me seriously.

Good luck with this one Tami and don't take any chances... well unless the benefit of the test outweighs the risk of course.

Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 28.03.10 at 17:31:09

I had to have an emergency ECG when in hospital recently as I collapsed and when I woke up the ECG was on. I did not have a problem and I would react to the slightest bit of latex content so lucky for me the ones they must have used were okay but I do not know the name of them. Unfortunately I was to unwell to ask.

Hope everyone is doing okay

Take care all

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Kim

!

Reply #8 - 30.03.10 at 16:05:00

Lewis had had to have ECG's and each time the nurses have shown him the packaging which stated that the pads were latex free and he has been fine.

IP Logged
Tami

!

Reply #9 - 30.03.10 at 20:14:13

thats good to know. I have got to wait until the latex free ones are ordered then i can reschedule.
All i can say is thank god its not an emergancy test!
Thanks for all ur comments. glad i was not just being paranoid x

Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - 05.04.10 at 14:07:47

Better to be safe than sorry. You are certainly not paranoid. We have to look after our own safety

Take care and keep in touch when you get the tests of done.

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print