Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
21.09.18 at 08:58:03
News: We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NHS OCCUPATIONAL ASPECTS OF MANAGEMENT (Read 2507 times)
Teddy
Global Moderator

NHS OCCUPATIONAL ASPECTS OF MANAGEMENT
04.07.11 at 21:21:27

http://www.nhsplus.nhs.uk/providers/images/library/files/guidelines/Latex_allerg y_guidelines.pdf

Can't remember if I already put this on but just come across it this evening. So forgive me if this is already on.

I have been trying to find more up to date research into type 1 latex allergy. Not having much luck. If any other member or readers have some up to date info / research please post it on.

Take care all

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Nicola
Newbies

!

Re: NHS OCCUPATIONAL ASPECTS OF MANAGEMENT
Reply #1 - 21.10.11 at 16:38:08

Grin giggling to myself here.. was just reading through this (interesting reading by the way) when I got a phonecall from OH regarding my complaint at not being given any follow up.. heheeheeee talk about timing!

Email   IP Logged
Lesley

!

Reply #2 - 23.10.11 at 06:59:24

Dear all

Unfortunately there does not seem to be much recent research into Type 1 - if only LASG was rich, we would commission some research!  

There is however a report of a Type 1 reaction to nitrile, which is a worry.  

The LASG AGM is in Newcastle on Wednesday and I will ask if there is any further research available. The meeting will be attended by a representative of the Malaysian Rubber Research Institute who are working hard to improve the standards in latex production and remove as much allergen as possible from the products. Whilst this will not help those who are already sensitised, it will reduce the risks for new sensitisations.  

Lesley
VC LASG

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 06.11.11 at 16:46:35

Every little helps Lesley.

Good timing right enough Nicola.

Not been on for a while as not been very well.

Take care all

Lesley

Teddy Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Lesley

!

Reply #4 - 07.11.11 at 09:10:08

Dear all

The LASG AGM was attended by members from the Rubber Research Institute and the Malaysian Rubber export government arm. They have been extremely helpful in exploring the issue which is so difficult for LA sufferers - balloons! They have looked at balloons manufactured in the two most common countries and we have asked them to also look at Chinese balloons.  

It would appear from their current findings that balloons that are pearlised i.e. have a sheen to them, may seal the latex proteins in but this is not completed research, so as far as LASG is concerned all latex balloons remain an issue until we know different. They are working closely with balloon manufacturers on our behalf as well as for their industry, to get the standards for balloons improved, much as they did for gloves in healthcare.  

I think that this cooperation with LASG is very welcome and we hope that they will be able to help us by making balloons safer and reducing risk  

Regards to all
Lesley
VC LASG

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 07.11.11 at 12:02:43

That's very welcome news Lesley; I think balloons are the biggest bugbear in the life of any Type 1 sufferer.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print