Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
18.01.19 at 21:38:17
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too tired to have a life! (Read 8105 times)
JohnS
Newbies

!

Too tired to have a life!
24.10.11 at 13:54:24

Hi, I’m new to the site although I joined LASG a few months ago.
I have been reading the forum. So many of my questions have been answered. The dermatologist that did my latex skin prick test talked a lot but this marvellous site is much more helpful than any other source of information. I have type 4 allergy mostly though I sneeze and my chest feels tight when I sense allergen. I wonder if type 4 latex allergy inevitably leads  to type 1 latex allergy?
I find that my biggest response to allergy is lethargy. This almost cost me my job and has cost me most of my social life but I don’t seem to be able to find anyone else who puts tiredness at the top of their symptom list.
I am always on the lookout for people who might share this condition. (Sulphite and Nitrite intolerance is also involved in my case.)

Many thanks to all connected with this web site. It is becoming an important part of my survival.

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Re: Too tired to have a life!
Reply #1 - 24.10.11 at 19:57:52

If you are feelling constantly tired ask your GP to check your vitamin D levels (done by blood test) as if levels low they can cause tiredness.

IP Logged
Megan

!

Reply #2 - 26.10.11 at 21:27:52

I get dizziness as a major symptom, then I have to lie down if it's bad and often doze on and off for an hour or two until it wears off.  I honestly could not continue as normal when it hits me, I have even driven to the school to pick up my son then fallen asleep in the car while parked & waiting for him.  If I stay away from my allergens this doesn't happen at all and my other symptoms of facial & mouth swelling, eyes watery, nose runny and painful abdominal spasms stay away too.

Tiredness is definately a big one, and feeling gloomy too comes with it.

Sneezing and tight chest doesn't sound like type 4, i thought type 4 was a rash only.  

My blood test was negative but the immunologist chose to diagnose me anyway for type 1 because of my symptoms and other allergies, might be worth you asking if you might have type 1 as well.

I read somewhere that you can have each type either on its own or both together, they don't necessarily go together.  Having said that I did have dermatitis first, don't know if that means I have type 4 too.

Email   IP Logged
Tami

!

Reply #3 - 28.10.11 at 15:28:54

i get the lethargy aswell. feels like i am spaced out and my body is a heavy weight.

got no energy to move. this usually happens if i am not touching but in the icinity of latex
x

Email   IP Logged
JohnS
Newbies

!

Reply #4 - 03.11.11 at 00:16:05

Hi Megan, you obviously have similar problems to me though thankfully I do not get giddiness.  

I had all of the typical atopic symptoms when I was young (eczema, asthma, hayfever, hives) and these varied according to allergen. I guess I developed latex allergy when I worked in a chemistry laboratory. We did controlled measurements over and over until we were sure of our conclusions. Of course the problem with allergies is that as soon as something is suspect I avoid it. I don't go back and check even once! Latex gloves cause intense itchiness (as you say, type 4) but I also get some tightness in my chest with latex and I am worried that this will get worse.  

Like you I fall asleep in the daytime, about an hour is the usual. I used to buy sandwiches for lunch at work. They made me feel like dead weight. I found my self waking up in the office and wondering who might have visited while I was out. Not a good idea when my boss is just over the corridor. After reading this site and the other links I have almost stopped eating out. Latex gloves used in food preparation are one cause but processed foods with preservatives seem to effect me the same way - lethargy.  Like you I have stayed away from the identified causes and this has also cleared up many gut problems including pains and cramps plus no more sleeping at lunch time. The contribution of allergies and intolerances has taken me a long time to sort out but I have managed to keep my job so far. Thank you LASG!

I do visit my GP but it has become a bit of a ritual “Hello, what do you want this time?” I have had a lot of negative tests for thyroid etc. Can't remember if I had vitamin D but my lethargy can usually be linked to something I have done or eaten.

I did repeat some observations for reasons that I now understand. Dark beers and wine reduce me to a complete couch potato, but only gradually, just one glass has no noticeable effect. When I give up beer and wine I have withdrawal symptoms for days afterwards. Also when my system is free I really crave a beer. I read about becoming addicted to foods that cause intolerance. It seems to fit. Then I found the sulphite free wines site. This wine does not give me lethargy – just a hangover. Of course I may have to repeat this experiment a number of times!  Tongue

Last point. Now that I am getting better with the allergies and intolerances I find I have a clearer sense of when latex is in the environment. I have just found out that I am allergic to photocopied and printed matter. Can any one help me here? Might it be the rubber rollers in the machine or something in the ink?

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 06.11.11 at 16:44:31

Hi John

Nice to meet you via the forum.

Like you I have various allergies and intolerances. I have type 1 latex allergy and carry epipens of adrenalin. I too have sulphite allergy which is the preservative in my very epipen I have to carry. I still have to have the epipen administered and then emergency services administer something to counteract the effects of the sulphite. So you can see how severe my allergies are and that is only 2 of them. Too many to go into, my husband said I am allergic to life itself.

We learn to live with the allergies and intolerances and try to make the most of the good days which can sometimes be few and far between. I have not been on the forum for a while due to severity of my ill health.

Like you I get very tired but found this was down to under active thyroid. It could be so many things John and everyone is different. I currently also have a tumour in my thyroid and get regular checks and I know it will have to be removed at some point but still there just now.

I am allergic to inks etc so it will probably be latex in the inks.

It is a case of avoidance as much as is physically possible. Also good idea if you can keep a diary of food intake, products used, where you were, what you were doing, I always say an endless list but it helps you pinpoint what you are reacting to.

I have too many allergies to go into but you will find you are not alone and that is one thing about the forum you can come on and ask or just have a rant or just have a chat and others here can understand what you are talking about and what you are going through.

Take care and nice to meet you on the forum

Lesley Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #6 - 05.03.12 at 23:20:55

Hello,

I have also not been around here for ages due to my daughter's ill health.

She has severe ME and has been bedbound for the last 18 months, just wondering if you have considered you may have CFS/ME?  You can be affected mildly, moderatley or very severely as Sophie is.  Debilitating fatigue is a key symptom among many others including joint and muscle pain, sleep disturbance, intolerance to noise and light, digestive problems, feeling 'flu-like', I could go on...........

Interestingly Sophie has become increasingly intolerant/allergic to so many things like other here.  She is so badly affected by reactions to all foods that she is now tube fed an elemental feed.  She has cut out foods over many years due to intolerance and abdominal pain/reflux to the point she was reduced to only managing rice and crisps before having to be admitted to hospital for the NG tube.

We are currently trying to get her help to overcome all these intolerances to food/chemicals but struggling to get the help she needs.

Obviously there are many reasons for fatigue etc. but ME could be one although very hard to get a diagnosis.

Take care
Karen x

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 06.03.12 at 13:59:05

Have left you a PM Karen.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
JohnS
Newbies

!

Reply #8 - 10.03.12 at 18:13:06

Thank you Lesley and Karen for your replies. I have started a diary. To some extent the answer is simply to live on well washed organic vegetables and ignore everything else. Sounds simple until you get hungry away from home. I have a couple of friends with experience of CFS and I don't seem to fit the profile. I wish there was an answer for Lesley and Sophie. I am improving with the various bits of advice I have found on the site and I usually get to 5pm these days without everything falling apart.
I have two general rules now.
1) Some surface chemists told me that absolutely everything has a coating of three layers of soot from motor car exhaust so never eat anything that you can not wash. I tested this out. It made a big difference to my reaction to organic raspberries which sent me to sleep one lunch time.
2) What ever you are exposed to during the day will collect on the pillow and build up through the week so leave clothes outside the bedroom, shower and head for bed in flipflops.

I have just emailed Green and Blacks chocolate co because some of their products have a simple wrapping and some are fully sealed. I was off work this week and I think it was latex from the wrapping of a coffee flavoured bar. I will report back when I get a reply.
Best wishes

John Smiley

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
Megan

!

Reply #9 - 15.03.12 at 18:37:59

John how are you doing with printed material?

I was having trouble with some printed plastic bags (tesco) but only when I was using them as a weaving material and having a lot of skin contact for several hours at a time.  

I found sainsburys bags were no problem, so I concluded it was the ink, could be wrong.

Hope the diary goes well, I found it best to limit the variables by only having one dodgy food each couple of days as it can take up to two days to have a "gut reaction", literally!  That was where I went wrong for years, mild alleric reactions to some nuts would result in fatigue and stomach upset the next day until testing confirmed them.

I think most people here have other allergies as well as latex.

Email   IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - 20.03.12 at 10:35:32

Hi John S

Sorry not been on for a while.

Hope things are improving for you day by day

Just take each day at a time and appreciate the good days.

Hope you are doing okay

Take care all

Lesley Smiley

Teddy
  IP Logged
JohnS
Newbies

!

Reply #11 - 05.08.12 at 13:27:47

Sorry to be ages replying. I'm always waiting for the next window of energy to come along. For a while my fingers seemed to be super sensitive to a lot of things then they settled down. I think that it started when I was admiring a carpet in a shop. I brushed my fingers over it but it was much coarser than I expected. I couldn't wash my hands and my fingers tingled all day. They stayed sore for a while after but eventually the inflammation died down. The sensitivity has gone now. I have had a similar problem with earplugs for the MP3. (There is a post on this subject already) I threw the inner-ear ones away and use some hard plastic ones that I can clean thoroughly. I recently tried antihistamine gel and that seems to be really effective (if you don't mind ears full of goo). It would be good if some one could invent a portable latex detector.

If a reaction takes 24 hours it could be an intollerance to something (sulphite is sprayed on many foods without any need to put it on the label. I have posted in the foods section  on this.  JohnS

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print