Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
16.04.21 at 09:06:37
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coffee and packaging (Read 10090 times)
Dennis
Newbies

!

Coffee and packaging
25.11.11 at 00:19:07

I just recently started drinking coffee again, after avoiding it for years. Main reason is it helps me control my asthma (not in any way making a medical claim, just my observation)    

But after reading the chocolate thread, it made me realize a lot of the coffee I buy seems to have some kind of glue sealing the bags.  I been having strange reactions with my mouth burning, mouth always seems to burn somewhat anyway.  I was thinking maybe some kind of cross reaction allergen since I was having the store grind it. .  I have more food allergies and regular allergies then you can shake a stick at, and was going to just start grinding it my self but that's a whole nother fiasco (see company complaints Bodum).  

Also for what it's worth I do not use a coffee maker per se, I use one of them french press things (Borscilte glass, stainless steel)..to boil water I use a metal sauce pan.  

Anyone else in the US have any opinions on coffee, and the packaging?  I'll start calling around the begining of the week and see what I can find out from the bigger names and update this thread.

IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Coffee and packaging
Reply #1 - 25.11.11 at 09:05:54

We have had reports of allergic reactions to packaging Dennis.   Apparently caused by the use of latex for sealing.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Dennis
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 26.11.11 at 02:39:54

Looks like i might just have to give up coffee yet again, just with so many allergies and so little to eat be nice to have something to enjoy.
I tried some new coffee today, and tried the grinder as well, burning sensation I been getting seemed worse,  and also strangely enough effected my lips as well.

IP Logged
JohnS
Newbies

!

Reply #3 - 27.11.11 at 10:36:16

Hi Dennis
I have a long history of trying to get a good cup of coffee. Thought I'd share a few of my commonly used techniques.

I buy organic but I always rely on a quick but very energetic wash under running cold water with the beans in a sieve. I grind them in a table top grinder and keep them in it but you could have a go with a mortar and pestle. I have one made from stone with loads of fossil shrimps in it!
I avoid anything that is dried/powdered as I have problems with the sulphite preservatives used for dried food. If you can't find a wholesaler/marketer who will sell you beans from a sack try opening the packet with scissors without disturbing the seals. If anything has got onto the beans from the packaging it should wash off again. I use the glass steel filter coffee pot but I don't think they use latex when boiling water is concerned. With tea I put leaves and water in the mug and then microwave it for three minutes. You could test your system on different foods to see which part of the process is causing the problem. I use the same equipment to make quantities of vegetable soup that I can freeze. Also humous from ground chickpeas. Both have plenty of chillies and other tasty ingredients for variety.

This is all normal for me. The trick is to make large volumes and freeze it. I still get a variety of side effects from coffee but I think that they are due to things in the coffee itself but I enjoy a cup at the weekend and put up with the consequences.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Roll Eyes

JohnS
Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - 27.11.11 at 13:29:57

Some great advice there John; you should post more often. Smiley

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Dennis
Newbies

!

Reply #5 - 27.11.11 at 22:49:29

Thanks John,  

I didn't think of cutting the bag past the seal, I'm looking for some stainless steel kitchen shears I guess, I've give up finding scissors with out "Comfort Grip" handles...grr.  Coffee maker, I used to use a Yamma Vaccum pot, but it does have rubber not sure if it really would come in contact with the water.  Also the filter thing on that was a joke, I know some people online where using old 50's Corey rods instead.   So I just moved onto a french press.  

Tea, I used to buy loose leaf tea online but it's just to expensive now... the only other passable  tea in the states is imported form the UK Yorkshire tea (didn't care for Pg tips)  the only thing that bugs me about Yorkshire it sits in the box unwrapped so possible some exposure to what ever adhesive the box is held together with.

Food wise I avoid everything and I do mean everything...I live on organic white basmatti rice, organic brown rice pasta  and used to be able tolerate chicken but lately the only protein I can tolerate is grass fed ground beef.    
I was eating organic french fires here and there but I break out in a nasty rash up and down my arms from potatoes,  possible cross reactive protein to latex?  I know I saw a list online somewhere about cross reactive proteins.

IP Logged
Dennis
Newbies

!

Reply #6 - 28.11.11 at 20:12:51

Just an update,

I emailed Peet's Coffe, and they replied with the following:
"Thank you for writing, and for your time. Our bags do not use an adhesive to seal the bags. We actually use a heat seal that melts the layers of the bag slightly to bond the sides together.  

Our grocery and home delivery bags consist of polyester, aluminum, and polyethylene. The polyester and polyethylene are both plastics and shouldn't contain any natural rubbers or latex. I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you futher."

Well I don't care for Starbucks, nor there prices, I emailed them and they can not tell me if they use adhesive nor if what ever they do use contains latex.

I also have another email waiting for reply to Jim's Organic Coffee Company.  

IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 01.12.11 at 18:16:28

I have to drink decaf coffee and not for my latex allergy purposes but I can only drink Kenco green topped decaf. I have no problem with it re my latex allergy.

Teddy
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print