Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
24.08.19 at 14:59:44
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello all (Read 1996 times)
Mike Judd
Newbies

!

Hello all
29.08.13 at 18:19:16

Hello everyone,  

I am new, having just joined the forum today. I have been having problems with latex since I was in secondary school (high school) and the reactions I have are getting progressively worse. My skin itches, blisters slightly and sometimes peels off when I have came into contact with latex. When I have scratched it the skin under my nails becomes inflamed too. I get very hot and find it hard to breathe sometimes. It is not anaphylactic but not far off of it.  

I look forward to being a member of the forums. Feel free to contact me any time you like. Oh I forgot to say that I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis, hypermobility, chronic pain syndrome, an enlarged spleen and liver and a few other medical issues so life is almost hell every day anyway.  

Mike x

Feel free to contact me if you would like to chat.

Mike x
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Hello all
Reply #1 - 30.08.13 at 08:43:53

So sorry to hear of your problems Mike.   It is not at all unusual for people suffering from either type of latex allergy to suffer from all sorts of other problems.   Have a dig through past posts as there might just be something there to help.

Incidentally, we would be interested in what your doctor has to say about the latex allergy.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Mike Judd
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 30.08.13 at 16:52:02

Hey there, the doctor does not say much. I have to take four piriton tablets when I have a reaction and they are thinking of giving me 10 steroid tablets to take every hour until the reaction has gone if it gets much worse. Other than that they make sure that every referral I have says I am allergic to latex.  

When in hospital I have a box that goes everywhere with me in case I have a reaction. It has resuscitation equipment and medications in it should they be needed. The hospitals do take it very seriously and I get to be first into theatre in the morning after a deep clean so no waiting around. One of the few benefits I think.  

Mike

Mike x
Email WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - 30.08.13 at 21:31:42

Thanks for letting us know Mike.   That is excellent news regarding the hospital.

Many doctors are a bit reticent about discussing latex allergy because they know very little about it and I have, in the past, come across a doctor who had never heard of it.   He had when I'd finished with him. Grin

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Mike Judd
Newbies

!

Reply #4 - 30.08.13 at 21:55:53

I have had to explain to a nurse that you can be allergic to anything naturally occurring... when she said she had once had an itch after getting pinged by a glove I honestly wondered how she passed her nursing exams lol.

Mike x
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print