Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello! (Read 3700 times)
SarahB
Newbies

!

Hello!
02.09.13 at 12:04:14

I'm Sarah, from England but living in Australia since I was little.  

I haven't been tested (I'm going to the GP tomorrow to organise tests) but my doctor believes I have a mild type 1 latex allergy because of my reactions and family history. My mother was allergic to latex and so is my daughter. When I told my GP I thought I might also be sensitive to latex she told me to just tell everyone I'm allergic because it's safer that way.  

It's been interesting to read here that blood tests are not always accurate because my daughter's came back negative and she has an instant skin reaction if she comes into contact with latex. If she wears latex gloves her hands swell, blister and the skin peels within minutes. If I were to wear them I get hives almost immediately all the way to my elbows. At the moment, I'm having a problem with socks and shoes (my sneakers make my feet swell, itch and hurt. Socks cause hives) but I usually go barefoot at least 10 months a year anyway. The rest of the time I have an excuse to wear my girly heels because they don't have any rubber on them Wink

I have had some food reactions but they seem to change over time. Wheat has always made my mouth break out in small ulcers, and at the moment raspberries make my mouth burn and peel. I used to be sensitive to pineapple but I'm not any more. I try to avoid prepackage foods but I'm sure there are fruits in some things I have eaten that have caused very bad mouth ulcers.  

I'm a knitter and have also had very quick reactions to acrylic yarns and machine washable yarns so I'm going to ask for a test for acrylate allergy tomorrow as well.

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Hello!
Reply #1 - 02.09.13 at 14:09:32

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.   It's a well known fact that the tests for latex allergy can be very iffy.   You can get false negatives.   You should point this out to the doctor as many doctors have very little knowledge of latex allergy.

Most of the fruit allergies related to latex allergy are to do with large stoned fruits.   Berries are usually OK and I've never hear of a reaction to raspberries before so it may not be related.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
SarahB
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 02.09.13 at 23:43:06

Thanks Bob Smiley

I wonder if my reaction to the raspberries was just a reaction to the fruit's high acidity and not the actual fruit itself? It's exactly the same reaction I used to get from pineapple but don't any more.  

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 03.09.13 at 08:09:23

My wife used to react to pineapple but we recently discovered that it no longer affects her.   She can't eat many fruits but all berries and grapes are fine.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
SarahB
Newbies

!

Reply #4 - 14.09.13 at 14:49:07

I just got the news back about my allergy tests.  

Unfortunately the news is not results, it's that the clinic is booked up until 2014  Tongue

I have to wait 4-6 weeks for my appointment date. Hopefully the actual tests won't be as complicated as making the appointment, lol. I'm being tested for latex, acrylics and wheat.

I ended up figuring out the probable reason why I reacted to the raspberries that burnt my mouth badly. I suspect I'm allergic to the bag they were in, since they were frozen. I haven't reacted to them since I started avoiding the frozen ones, which is great because I love raspberries Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 14.09.13 at 18:27:43

Well, it good news that you can eat raspberries Sarah.   I wonder what it was about the bag that affected you.   Can you tell us what it was made of?

IP Logged
SarahB
Newbies

!

Reply #6 - 15.09.13 at 02:08:22

The bag was one of those really thick acrylic polymer bags. I suspect it was leaching chemicals from the acrylic into the berries. My doctor is pretty sure I have type 1 allergies to both latex and acrylic.  

Guess I won't be having dinner at Heston Blumenthal's restaurants any time soon Wink

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 16.09.13 at 08:21:32

Wonder if the acid in the berries had an effect on the bag?   Thanks for letting us know Sarah.   Glad to see you've retained your sense of humour. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print