Send Topic Print
Hi! (Read 1531 times)
Lynne
Newbies

!

Hi!
15.11.13 at 20:55:50

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with latex allergy 13 years ago and have managed it very well by being super aware of my surroundings.  Unfortunately, due to my arch enemy the balloon, I have got to the point I always hoped would never happen and I now have to carry an epi-pen.  Sad  Although I've lived with the allergy for so long, it's taken a while to come to terms with the epi-pen, especially having to teach my kids how to give it if necessary.

Look forward to getting to know you all  Smiley

Lynne

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Hi!
Reply #1 - 15.11.13 at 21:12:34

Hi Lynne and welcome to the forum.   It might be an idea for you to carry two epipens.   Paula went into anaphylactic shock on one occasion and the ambulance carried no latex free gear which resulted in her going into shock again.   Fortunately she had the second epipen which probably saved her life.   Might be an idea to mention this to your doctor.   Better safe than sorry.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Lynne
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 16.11.13 at 14:10:11

Thanks for your advice.  I work for the ambulance service (North West) so I know that with the exception of one piece of equipment (which is in sealed packets and very rarely gets used) which is being replaced over the next few weeks to a non latex version, we are completely latex free.  I've been over everything with a fine tooth comb  Grin .The difference has been amazing from when I was first diagnosed with it, 13 years ago I was given a box of latex free gloves, but I was still touching the same equipment that other people were with their latex gloves, now everything is latex free! Hope this info helps other that may not know as well.

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 16.11.13 at 16:31:53

Thanks for the info Lynne.   East Midlands ambulances are now latex free (after many complaints).   It would be interesting to know about the rest of the country.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print