Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
18.01.19 at 21:51:30
News: Visit YaBB today Wink
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from a new member (Read 1266 times)
Barbara
Newbies

!

Hello from a new member
31.12.13 at 05:04:23

Hello everyone. I am so glad to have found this forum. I am the mother of a 2 year old boy who has a latex allergy. He also has more than 40 food allergies and a long history of anaphylaxis caused by his food allergies. The latex allergy just dawned on me and I am finding it very hard to locate information and guidance. Our allergist has basically told us we should avoid contact indoors but he is a lot less concerned about latex outdoors. He for example told me he should still attend a playgroup where latex balls are present and just avoid touching them (unless and until he has a problem). At the same time, he told us that his reactions might progressively get more severe and I should I be ready to inject him with adrenaline (epipen) if I see any respiratory distress and other severe synthoms. I am not sure where the balance is. I am finding latex very hard to avoid. It has been almost a month since we discovered the allergy and I am not even close to having finished purging the house. He told me that my son should be ok touching car tires as the latex in them has been altered, and also he could play with a wheelbarrow with a latex wheel outdoors if he avoids touching it. What are your thoughts?

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Hello from a new member
Reply #1 - 31.12.13 at 10:01:12

Hi Barbara and welcome to the forum.   A couple of points to make. The first on car tyres.   My wife has had a reaction to them and I know of one other member who has had a reaction so be careful there.   So far as handling latex balls at playgroup is concerned I wouldn't let him do that as latex allergy appears to be cumulative in that the more you come into contact with it the worse it appears to get.

Many food allergies are connected to the latex allergy and most of the members of this group suffer from them in one way or another.

One thing that we have had a problem with and that is easily overlooked is elastic bands.   The post office seem to insist on putting them around the post and my wife has had an anaphylactic reaction when opening the post.

If I were you, I would have your son avoid any contact with latex at all costs whether indoors or out.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on as all information on the allergy is important to us.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print