Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello (Read 1345 times)
Adrian

!

Hello
22.04.14 at 08:27:29

Hi I'm Adrian and have had a contact latex allergy for 12 or so years, and it is gradually getting worse.  

I am finding it more and more difficult to keep my enviroment latex free.  

I also find that asking manufacturers, if their products contain latex is like hunting for the holy grail. (sometimes I think they say yes just to get rid of you)  

Tools are now becoming a big issue as everything seems to have "soft touch" rubber handles.  
Finding a computer mouse without a rubber scroll wheel is impossible.  
Sky and Tv remotes are also hazardous.  

I spend hours trying to find latex free alternatives.  

Even eating out can be difficult due to the prolific use of latex gloves and checking for ingredients.
And the embarrassment of being asked to sign a receipt or form and being passed a pen with soft touch grip.  

I used to use nitrite gloves, but although Iím not allergic like latex they leave me with a burning sensation, has anyone else found this as my Doctor says itís fairly common.  

Any advice or tips will be welcome

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Re: Hello
Reply #1 - 22.04.14 at 08:58:56

Hi Adrian and welcome to the forum.   Most of our members will know exactly how you feel.   My wife, who is Type 1, covers the TV remotes with cling film.

When we eat out it's always at one of two restaurants.   We've got to know the staff and they are now well aware of the problem.   The big problems arrive when we go on holiday.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Adrian

!

Re: Hello
Reply #2 - 22.04.14 at 12:04:16

Hi  

All our remotes are cling filmed up, have wrote to sky twice over the years for an alternative.
All possible tools are covered in PVC tape or leather, much to the amusment of my work collegues  
Computer mouse after years of having hives over my finger tip,  I now have a Kensington track ball with a scroll dial, but due to a total lack of response from Kensington I have varnished this. couldn't get anything to stay on normal scroll wheels without it wearing off.  
Dunlop acitate wellingtons are latex free
Staedtler pigment liners (drawing pens) are also latex free.  
Lastrap support straps are also latex free  
I am also using deb protection barrier cream on my hands
I carry vinyl gloves with me and cotton glove liners with thick pvc gloves for heavy duty.
After my last bad exposure, still not sure what caused it, which left me covered in hives and made it a struggle to breath for days after, I am now starting to get pretty paranoid about it.  Shocked  

I think it would be a really good idea if manufacturers could be made to state if something is latex free, it would make life so much easier. As it is most don't seem to know.    

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print