Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
23.01.19 at 02:38:33
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi, Newbie with a lot to learn... (Read 1629 times)
Julie
Newbies

!

Hi, Newbie with a lot to learn...
31.03.15 at 12:35:42

Hi, I'd like to say a hello to everyone and say a little about me, I apologise for not making it short & sweet , I have just registered and I will be spending a while reading through everything on here, as there is some great advice & support.

I was diagnosed a month ago with a latex allergy, that is all I know, I do not know the type and I suspect I may have other issues, but again have no help or advice from my GP. I will be making an appointment soon.

My story began 17 years ago after my first baby I reacted to Bananas, I was really poorly - it did take 3 before I realised they were an issue, but after growing up eating them also during pregnancy I couldnt understand how all of a sudden I could be allergic to them. Also tomato soup, orange juice I found I could not tolerate either amongst other things. The issues have got worse over the last couple of years, I had found most foods were causing issues and this has been one of the biggest worries until now.  

I self diagnosed my latex allergy and after informing the pre op assesment nurse that I believed I may have a latex allergy they ran a blood test and found that I do have a latex allergy.
I have been complaining to my GP's for years about stomach issues- they put this down to IBS - even though I have always said I do not have IBS as I was not typical with the symptoms.

So this last 12 months has been the hardest, with increasing problems with food, feeling neurotic as no one understands me,  rashes around my neck/chest & intense itching a lot of the time - especially waking me up through the night.  
I have been having repeated lower tract infections & almost constant back pain lower back - Around my waist band, which im now guessing is down to underwear/elastic waist on jeggings etc...  
I have pain in my hands more regularly following on with dry/cracked skin- this I know is when ive been handling certain products - plastic packaging bags for posting sales/ pushing mum in her wheelchair/using ipad & phone ( the cases they are in)  
I saw another persons post about lethargy and constantly feeling tired - thats me - I am currently on Vit D supplements as im deficient, so waiting to see how that goes.
Constant nausea.
Headaches.
Getting out of breath.  
Dry sore throat/mouth
Tingly hands
Tingly lips

My main issue is this pain I get - which I thought was wind, however im in that much pain that I cant understand it being wind - ive been taken by ambulance 3 times because of this as I end up having a panic attack as I cant breath properly which makes the pain worse, ive learned to stay as calm & relaxed as possible, but this pain is somwtimes like a constant contraction...
This pain is middle to lower bust - bottom of my oesophegus, it comes on out of the blue, I cant do anything and always comes with either loose stools, being sick or both and can last anywhere from 1/2 hour to 6/8 hours... I get hot & clammy and ive found the only way I can tollerate it is by having a beanie or hot water bottle on the area. It is ruining my life with at least 1 or 2 attacks a week...  

So I know I have a latex allergy, and I know I suffer with the cross contamination due to the foods I can not tollerate, and I do feel poorly most days, on top of that im under investigation for personality disorder/bi polar and find that the symptoms and food can also play a part in my mood, making all this harder for everyone else to deal with...

When I got my diagnosis it didnt click with all my symptoms and I thought why do I need to change everything now but the more ive cut out of my diet the more im seeing symptoms linking to food im eating aswell as things I handle..

Im sorry ive rambled on, I do have a tendancy, I will be having a good read before I ask questions but I guess my only Question for now is, does anyone think the pain I get could be related to the latex allergy???  

FYI I bought a renaut clio last month and found I was allergic to the steering wheel!!  

I will stop typing now Smiley Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to getting to know you all x

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: Hi, Newbie with a lot to learn...
Reply #1 - 31.03.15 at 16:21:54

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum.   It certainly sounds as if you do have a latex allergy.   My wife shows a lot of the same symptoms that you do.   It is a shame but a lot of doctors have little or no idea about latex allergy.   Incidentally, my wife has to use a steering wheel cover in a Ford that is supposed to be latex free.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Julie
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 01.04.15 at 04:44:42

Hi & Thank you, im sure all the information & advise on here will help me. I know I have a latex allergy, had it confirmed with a blood test, but that is all I know.
Does your wife get the pain I mentioned, I have had it again this evening, hence me still awake.  cry
How long has she had her diagnosis?  I did not think I would have to change that much but now im seeing that all symptoms could be related, I know I need a big change.  

I do find it funny how they claim to be latex free when a sufferer clearly shows signs of an interaction?
I get the tingly pain in my hands, wrist pain, knuckle joint pain within hours and hurting/aching for a couple of days followed on with dry/cracked skin when touching a steering wheel with latex in, well thats what happened with the clio I bought last month. Luckily it has been rejected due to breaking down the next day.  
Those are the same symptoms with all latex I handle.  

Thinking about it, I have had a top on today with elastane in it, it made my arms go tingly and my chest rash is raised & itching again, along with a prickly itchy back & neck.  
Am I right in Elastane is not good?  
Thanks.  

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - 01.04.15 at 08:54:00

Not come across anyone else with a problem with elastane.  My wife was diagnosed around about 15 years ago and nobody outside the LASG knew anything about latex allergy.   One the first occasion she went into anaphylactic shock I used an Epipen on her and called an ambulance.   She went into shock again in the ambulance as they had no latex free gear.   We've changed that and now all our ambulances are latex free.

Our local hospitals are supposed to be latex free but they are not.   There are still latex gloves around and elastic bands around all the notes.

Dry cracked skin is a typical example of a Type 4 reaction.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print