Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
18.01.19 at 22:47:37
News: Welcome to our forum.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Southampton General Hospital (Read 1545 times)
swalk01
Newbies

!

Southampton General Hospital
30.04.15 at 12:11:54

Please everyone - be aware - that are balloons in the entrance to SOUTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL on 29/4/15
They seem to be for the Southampton Charity Trust!!!!
Luckily I managed to spot them in time and gave a wide berth, however anyone with severe anaphylaxis might not be so lucky.  Angry

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: Southampton General Hospital
Reply #1 - 30.04.15 at 18:54:38

I have sent the following email to patientsupportservices@uhs.nhs.uk

I run the Latex Allergy Support Group forum.   One of our members has reported as follows:

Please everyone - be aware - that are balloons in the entrance to SOUTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL on 29/4/15  
They seem to be for the Southampton Charity Trust!!!!  
Luckily I managed to spot them in time and gave a wide berth, however anyone with severe anaphylaxis might not be so lucky

Please be aware that latex balloons are one of the major causes of anaphylactic shock to our members and that the sufferer of Type 1 Latex Allergy does not have to come into contact with the balloon to be affected.   Close proximity is enough.

Regards

Bob Rosamond.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #2 - 30.04.15 at 20:52:50

I have previously spoken to Patient Liason Services based at Southampton General about the exact same issue as various charities have been based at the entrance using balloons and also patients bringing in balloons into out patient areas. they have said they would speak to the relevant departments with regard to possibly changing the policies. Be warned the jewellery shop opposite Burger King inside Southampton General Hospital main entrance also has a window full of balloons.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - 01.05.15 at 13:20:07

Received this this morning.   I shall follow it up if there's no further reply.

Dear Bob

Thank you very much for your email which I have forwarded onto the management teams and the consultants.

Kindest regards

Lorraine

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - 19.05.15 at 10:52:46

I didn't get any further reply so I sent another email pointing that out.   As a result I got an email asking for my phone number and this morning I got a phone call from the hospital.    

They were apologetic and assured me that balloons would not be allowed in the hospital, which is latex free, in future.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #5 - 19.05.15 at 20:09:44

Unfortunately this hospital is anything but latex free from experience as they use rubber bands on patient notes, these are found in most of the treatment rooms and consultation rooms. I know of at least two outpatient areas where the reception area where you book in has multiple rubber bands on the desk. I have had multiple issues with regards to the use of rubber bands at the hospital both as an outpatient and in the research department. Staff think they are latex free but do not understand that rubber bands are latex and therefore a problem and that airborne latex is also an issue.  

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - 19.05.15 at 20:34:03

We have the same problems in our latex free hospitals in Nottingham Liz. embarrassed

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print