Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
17.06.19 at 03:53:00
News: Welcome to our forum.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm a mum whose baby daughter has a latex allergy (Read 856 times)
Alix
Newbies

!

I'm a mum whose baby daughter has a latex allergy
28.03.16 at 09:08:17

Hi there,

My 10 month old daughter has been diagnosed as having a latex allergy.  It was confirmed with a skin prick test after she reacted to pretty much every food I tried to feed her.  She currently can only tolerate wheat, oates, rice and lamb.  My oldest child has dairy and egg allergies, which now in comparison seems like a walk in the park!!

Since her diagnosis I have been trying to research about it as much as I can as before her diagnosis I would have thought it would have just been gloves, balloon etc to avoid.  I had no idea how life-changing this diagnosis would be.  I have to admit that I feel terrified when I read too much as it's hard to imagine how she will live any kind of normal life. It feels like a kind of grieving that I am going through as I come to terms with the fact that she won't have a regular childhood.  So to stop myself from sinking into sadness about it, I am trying to focus on the practical implications of eliminating latex from our house.  When it comes to clothing, can she wear clothes with elastane? So many little kids clothing is 95% cotton and 5% elastane.  I thought elastane was synthetic, but I have read so many comments about people buying special socks etc.  I wonder whether it would be ok for her to wear clothes with elastane as long as I replaced the elasticated waistband with latex-free elastic?

We live in New Zealand, so I am very thankful that we live in the internet age, otherwise I would feel even more isolated.  There are plenty of people with food allergies in our lives, but I had never known anyone with a latex allergy before now.

It does feel like a bad dream some days.  I just want to wrap her up in cotton wool and keep her safe.

Thanks
Alix

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: I'm a mum whose baby daughter has a latex alle
Reply #1 - 29.03.16 at 12:21:52

Hi Alix, I know just how you feel as my wife has the Type 1 allergy.   There are lots of foods that can affect the latex allergy sufferer and one must be very careful. It is quite common for latex allergy sufferers to have other allergies too.   I'm sure elastane has been discussed on the forum and you can look it up buy using the search box 3rd from left   My understanding is that elastane is a synthetic fibre and does not contain rubber.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: I'm a mum whose baby daughter has a latex alle
Reply #2 - 29.03.16 at 15:15:16

Alix, use the search box third from right not the one at top right.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print