Send Topic Print
Hello! (Read 1364 times)
StephanieP
Newbies

!

Hello!
03.05.16 at 19:40:26

Hi, I'm Steph,
I was diagnosed with a type 1 latex allergy in December 2013 but its taken me this long to pluck up the courage to join!! I've basically been in shock as the diagnosis pretty much came out of the blue. I was also diagnosed with severe adult onset asthma within 3 weeks of the latex diagnosis which has complicated things somewhat! Typical symptoms include breathing difficulties, tingling on my tongue / lips, coughing, rash around my neck etc.

To say my life has been turned upside down is the understatement of the year - I'm now on an extraordinary amount of medications which don't always control the symptoms; combine that with hay fever, chronic rhinosinusitis, breathing difficulties with chemicals / perfumes and some drug allergies and life becomes really interesting!! My consultant has suggested I try a low salicylate diet in an attempt to control the asthma / allergy symptoms. However, I'm having great difficulty balancing this with a low fat diet [I had my gall bladder out a few years ago so I can't tolerate fat either]. I get very bad abdominal pain / stomach cramps if I eat things that don't agree with me - particularly sweetcorn, peppers, raw onions, fatty / spicy foods, tomatoes [to a certain extent], most beans / pulses / nuts & seeds etc. Many of the foods that are low in salicylate have fat in them and vice versa. Add in the fact that I've had some breathing difficulties after eating bananas recently and my limited food intake becomes even more limited! [By the way - I'm told I'm not allergic to bananas as my blood test was negative but the symptoms have happened twice now so I'm not convinced!]

I've been referred to a dietician but haven't yet got an appointment so any help with balancing low fat / low salicylate foods and foods linked to latex allergy would be most welcome! Any suggestions? I could do with any help I can get! Many thanks in advance, Steph

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: Hello!
Reply #1 - 04.05.16 at 21:43:47

Hi Steph and welcome to the forum.   Your symptoms are not at all uncommon.   You will find this of interest:  https://www.verywell.com/what-is-the-latex-food-syndrome-83062  

Being found to be allergic to latex, especially Type 1, comes as a shock to everyone.   I well remember when my wife was diagnosed; we didn't know which way to turn as nobody (especially doctors) had heard of it.    That's when we found the LASG and, believe me, it was a lifesaver.

Your symptoms are exactly what my wife experienced and that was nearly 20 years ago.   The allergy is better understood now and many more doctors are aware of it.   However, they don't all know all the answers such as nearly every Type 1 sufferer is allergic to bananas.

Read the link above, it will answer a lot of questions and, if you have any more questions, this is the place to ask them.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
StephanieP
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 07.05.16 at 14:28:58

Thank you, that's really helpful!

Email   IP Logged
Adrian

!

Reply #3 - 19.04.17 at 15:54:57

Hi Steph  
The allergy to bananas is that they contain latex as do kiwi and several other fruits.  
I am also allergic to perfumes as well, and going out can be a real pain as all the women walk in enveloped in a cloud of the stuff, even shopping can be a struggle.  

Hope you find this site useful

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print