Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
17.06.19 at 18:18:19
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unbelievable (Read 1304 times)
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Unbelievable
14.06.16 at 11:13:07

Paula was at the hospital this morning for a procedure on her arm.   I always accompany her just in case as she is Type I.   She had a red armband on which was clearly marked Type 1 Latex Allergy and it was also stated very clearly in her notes.   However, she saw the surgeon approaching and was just in time to stop him as he was wearing LATEX GLOVES.  Angry

Incidentally, the nurse bought her some 'anti slip' socks to wear and I queried whether they were latex free.   She didn't know but went off to find out.   When she came back she said that they were latex free but there was nothing to that effect on the packaging.   Needless to say, they weren't used.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Tinkerbell

Re: Unbelievable
Reply #1 - 15.06.16 at 13:39:47

Sadly it is all too believable. I hope Paula is ok?

IP Logged
Kim

!

Reply #2 - 17.06.16 at 09:38:57

oh no....hope all went well in the end. Despite hospitals being "latex-free" there are still a few latex items around or staff who don't know if something is safe but say it is anyway.....still a way to go I guess. We still need to double check and be vigilant....

Kim & Lewis x

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - 17.06.16 at 10:22:01

Thanks folks; Paula was fine and a different surgeon carried out the procedure.   Our main problems with the hospitals in Nottingham, which are both declared to be latex free, are elastic bands all over the place. Angry

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #4 - 20.06.16 at 19:43:08

Hope Paula is now recovering from her procedure on her arm... Sometimes I think we are fighting a loosing battle with regards to latex allergy as people generally either do not understand the allergy, the type of products that contain latex or as often the case with the medical profession just forget even after being told. The latex rubber bands get everywhere... I for one will be happy when the medical notes go onto the pc and everything goes paper free...

IP Logged
Adrian

!

Reply #5 - 01.11.16 at 17:24:25

Last time I was in hospital, I got put in a separate room, But still nurses and doctors wandered in with latex gloves and latex blood pressure cuffs. You had to tell everyone that came in. Then they lost my notes and wouldn't administer pain relief until they found them 14 hours later Sad Sad

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print