Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paradise Wildlife Park (Read 930 times)
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Paradise Wildlife Park
19.06.16 at 20:17:51

Paradise Wildlife Park use latex gloves through out the park so not safe to go on any of their experiences which go behind the scenes...  Also the catering areas also use latex gloves so it is not safe to eat there....

IP Logged
Kim

!

Re: Paradise Wildlife Park
Reply #1 - 19.06.16 at 20:26:02

they can cater for the allergy on an experience though as Lewis fed the tigers first thing in the day about 12 years ago and they didn't use gloves. we took our own food.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - 19.06.16 at 22:44:04

I've sent the following email, "I run a forum for the Anaphylaxis Campaign.   I have been informed by one of our members that you use latex gloves throughout your site and in food preparation.   I feel that you should be aware that the Health and Safety Executive have declared latex a dangerous substance only to be used where absolutely necessary.   The constant use of latex gloves can sensitise people and cause latex allergy which, in the Type 1 allergy can cause death.   Should one of your employees be sensitised, you would be actionable as you would be if the wearing of latex gloves caused anaphylaxis in a Type 1 Latex Allergy sufferer.   Best regards   Bob Rosamond"

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz944
Global Moderator

!

Reply #3 - 20.06.16 at 11:00:47

Kim, they currently use latex gloves to prepare the meat used for the tiger feeds. Latex  gloves are used in both the vegetable and meat food preparation areas so any food you are given to feed the animals is likely to be contaminated. If you handle any of the animals you are for the majority of the time asked to wash your hands in the same area as the food preparation is done and staff are walking around with latex gloves on.

I would not rely on the zoo recording correctly you allergies, or informing you at the booking stage of any issues with regards to allergies or the fact they use latex gloves or communicating it to their staff your allergies in order to keep you safe. After making a complaint to the zoo director some accommodations where made but none made to avoid latex gloves and equipment.

IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - 20.07.16 at 12:37:12

Just had this email:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your email and all of the information and bringing this to my attention.

We do have many protocols in place here at Paradise in order to ensure the welfare of all of our staff and visitors.

Your member in question did inform us on her visit that latex was also used in pushchairs and cling film and these were also very severe.

I will pass this information onto our catering department.

In the meantime, would there be any suggestions or advice that you could offer to our team as an alternative for latex gloves?

With Kind Regards,

Carly

I've sent an appropriate reply.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print