Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
18.01.19 at 21:37:46
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Really bad news Oeko skin safe, is not safe   (Read 341 times)
Adrian

!

Really bad news Oeko skin safe, is not safe  
20.03.17 at 13:50:25

I suspected as much, but thought I would get it confirmed. When trying to buy several items recently, I have had the suppliers tell me that "of course the item is latex free it has the Oeko skin safe certificate" this is not actually the case as can be seen below, unfortunately I have already bought several things that I am now going to dispose of.  
Despite Phil's reply Latex is not declared on the certificate, it might be in the report that goes with it, but all manufacturers I have looked at only display the actual certificate.  

Dear Mr Cannon,

I am afraid the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 does not mean that it is latex free. Latex containing products are allowed by Oekotex. However, if a latex/rubber component is part of a product then it should be mentioned in the certificate description.

Regards,

Phil Whitaker

The Declaration of skin safe by Oeko that is not actually safe.  

"The Oeko-Tex® Association has evaluated and certified this product as skin safe from the second it comes into contact with the skin."

I have bought several items with the Oeko certificate (including a Yoga mat), but my most recent purchase was a bag of work gloves and when I opened them something didn't seem right, so I emailed the manufacturer UCi who immediately got back to me saying that Oeko doesn't mean latex free (even though the supplier said it did) and to not wear them.

Email   IP Logged
Adrian

!

Re: Really bad news Oeko skin safe, is not safe  
Reply #1 - 20.03.17 at 16:47:44

UCi are going on my list for good manufacturers, they have just been on, telling me exactly where the latex is in the product and she has spent ages by the sound of it researching alternatives

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print