Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Latex Allergy Support Forum
23.03.19 at 19:09:08
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello - new to this & need advice on travel (Read 956 times)
Liz2
Newbies

!

Hello - new to this & need advice on travel
23.03.17 at 10:43:08

Hello

I've been sensitive to balloons for years with mild tingling in the throat, but recently my symptoms have escalated and all sorts of latex things are a problem - exposed elastic particularly - instant sore throat. I've had a couple of bad reactions but not full anaphylactic shock as yet. I have a patch test booked for April, and my GP has issued me with an Epipen and antihistamines. The antihistamines are a help (but don't take away all of the reaction) and I'm not looking forward to coming off them in time for the patch test.

Before things began to change, we booked a holiday to Lanzarote, we're due to fly on Saturday morning. I have to admit I'm rather nervous - for example what if the person sat next to me has headphones that contain latex? Its a 4 hour flight. We're booked to go one way with Easyjet and the other with Thomas Cook. Easyjet say tell the cabin crew when you get onboard. The first person I spoke to at Thomas Cook said that they use latex gloves and that is that, so please take an Epipen. The second person at Thomas Cook said that they don't use gloves at all. It doesn't feel helpful - I don't know what to think. On the plus side, when I emailed the hotel, they've advised that they only use vinyl gloves. I used to think that reactions wouldn't happen outside, but I've since had a reaction outside (although it wasn't a bad one), so now I'm concerned about lilos/inflatables round the pool too.

Does anyone have any advice about travel?

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Re: Hello - new to this & need advice on travel
Reply #1 - 23.03.17 at 11:27:51

Hi Liz and welcome to the forum.    

My wife has a very serious Type 1 Latex Allergy so we are very aware.   She has been into anaphylactic shock on eight occasions.

We fly twice a year usually and I have never seen any cabin crew wearing latex gloves.   Now that the Health and Safety Executive has declared latex to be a dangerous substance only to be used where absolutely necessary we have seen a rapid decline in the use of latex gloves.   I can attest to the fact that Ford mechanics have stopped wearing them.    

We have never had a problem on a plane with latex of any description.

I would recommend though, that you speak to your doctor again before you go as I would recommend that you carry two epipens.   We do and there have been two occasions when we have used both.   You may quote me if you wish.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz2
Newbies

!

Reply #2 - 23.03.17 at 12:58:00

Hi

Thank you so much for the reassurance, very much appreciated.

Email   IP Logged
LASG Forum Administrator
LASG Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - 23.03.17 at 14:39:12

My pleasure Liz.   Have a great holiday.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Liz2
Newbies

!

Reply #4 - 05.04.17 at 19:05:42

Hi

Pleased to report that we had a lovely holiday and the flights were fine.

Easyjet carry both types of gloves but let me know that they'd put the latex ones away so that they couldn't be used during the flight.  

Thanks again for your help.

Email   IP Logged
Adrian

!

Reply #5 - 19.04.17 at 15:50:52

Hi Liz glad you had a good holiday.  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print